Author Topic: Evidence of John and Mathilda FLEMMING in Brightlingsea PR's  (Read 1190 times)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence of John and Mathilda FLEMMING in Brightlingsea PR's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Going back to your original post you say Martha predeceases John as he dies aged 87 in 1898. That gives a birth year of 1811 and refers to John and Martha's son John born 1811.

John and Martha appear together in the 1841 Census ( HO107/338/7/F50)

Martha is a widow in 1851 working as housekeeper to a William Morris in Brightlingsea, a Doctor.
(HO107/1782/F124/p5)

In 1861 she is still in Brightlingsea living with an Emmeline Sparling who I believe is her daughter.
(RG9/1101/F118/p24)

In 1871 she is still there and still with daughter Emmeline
(RG10/1689/F88/p19)

Deaths

John Flemming Mar 1845 Lexden & Winstree Union vol 12 p 110 aged 67 (Gives yob as 1778)

Martha Flemming Mar 1876 Lexden & Winstree Union vol 4a p233 age 87 (Gives yob 1789)

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
...and thanks so much for all that extra research on my behalf, John! That possible London marriage is particularly interesting.  Much food for thought...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Wow! (our posts crossed in the ether just now), I'm going to get hold of a piece of paper now and write all these references down and try and connect them properly, as I'm getting thoroughly confused - between my Matilda's and my Martha's, for one thing!
Very many thanks again, Emelton....
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
...have now had time to digest the info and have a think about things...the most remarkable thing is that the 1898 death entry on FreeBMD for a John FLEMMING does not seem to be the man I was looking for, as he is there larger than life still at the ripe old age of 90, living in the household of his dead wife's sister, Julia Agnes in that 1901 Census entry.   Interesting too that he is on outdoor parish relief.  Surprising too that I now cannot find a death entry for him aged 90-plus years beyond 1901.
I would say that that 1847 Hammersmith marriage for him to Esther Matilda looks exactly right to me, though the subsequent   absence of children to the couple would obviously mean I've been barking up the wrong family tree, unless of course John FLEMMING sowed a few illegitimate wild oats some time before that date!  Maybe as a mariner he did indeed visit a few other places and people other than in  Brightlingsea as a younger, virile man...
Perhaps my imagination is getting the better of me...
Keith