Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16731 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
Without giving the actual description,Harry Peck was probably in charge of a number of other men at the start of WW2.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell there were two children born to the Pecks in the mid 1920s(as per the marriage annoucements in the 1940s) and both died in 1998.

Regards
Roger

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks.

I just hope that a) we find the right Pecks and b) there are some descendants still alive...
It would be awful if we were a few years (or even less) too late with our questions.

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 24 September 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
I was going by the map on FindMyPast obviously didn't investigate enough sorry about that!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Son:
Herbert James Peck died 1998 and probate, grant and will.

Daughter:
Doris May Ruddy died 1998, probate grant only.

Herbert James Peck married Pearl M E Nunn, and Pearl died in 2011.
Obituary:
http://announcements.johnstonpress.co.uk/obituaries/newmarketjournal-uk/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=182604574

I suggested Rose Peck married to Harry, because I looked through all the probate records for a Rose Peck, and she was the only one I found with an agricultural association.  I agree that I would have been happier if I had found 'farmer', but I believed it was worth investigating.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it's a very good find and well worth continuing to investigate,Chempat.

Regards
Roger

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 24 September 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Link to a gravestone, if you ask for a better image the reasons you give will be linked to the image and available for other people to contact you:

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=261354&scrwidth=2400

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody,

I wasn't ignoring you all!  :)

I am very grateful for your help and am keeping notes on everyrthing which you have discovered/suggested so far.

However...Birigt has started contacting her cousins.  :) :) :) She has only managed to get through to one so far, and she could only recall little anecdotes which her father (Gustav) had told her. She didn't even know Mrs Peck's first name, let alone where in England they live(d).

With a bit of luck her older sister(s) will know a little more. Fingers crossed!
So watch this space...  (But don't hold your breath!)  ;D

Who knows - we may find out where the farm is/was, or Rose's husband's name. Something. However small...

BTW, the cousin said that there was even an English newspaper article back then about young Gustav from Hamburg being looked after by the Pecks. Another needle in a haystack, but once we get one little clue, it might help us find that.

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 30 October 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody!

GOOD NEWS! We have made (pretty big) progress!

Any idea of where the farm was?
Might get some help here:
https://www.dd-wast.de/en/assets.html

The DD has replied! We know where Emil was during his time as a POW. (Birgit is very excited about all this - and so am I!)

Many thanks to everybody who helped us a few weeks back. I am afraid to have to tell you that Wiltshire and Suffolk play no role in Emil's story. But at least we now have something concrete to go on. 

According to the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin, Emil was taken prisoner in France in August 1944.
Following a number of hospital stays, including 4 months in Oaklands Emerg. Hospital (Manchester?), he was sent to the following places on the dates shown:

03.01.1945: Camp 18, Featherstone Park, Haltwhistle, Northumberland

05.03.1945: Camp 191, Crewe Hall, Crewe, Cheshire

28.02.1946: Camp 296, Racecourse Camp, Doncaster, West Riding, Yorkshire  OR  Ravenfield Park, Rotherham, West Riding, Yorkshire

04.07.1946: Camp 17, Lodge Moor Camp, Sheffield, West Riding, Yorkshire  OR  London W.2.

06.07.1947: Camp 19, Happendon Camp, Douglas, Lanarkshire

01.08.1947: Returned to Germany
03.08.1947: Released from captivity

So...
He spent a year at Camp 191, 4 months at Camp 296 and 1 year at Camp 17.

As the story goes that the Peck family nursed him to health before he started working, we may be allowed to assume that the Pecks lived near the first camp, i.e. Camp 191 in Crewe, Cheshire.

We can't, however, rule out Camp 17, where he later also spent 1 year. (I have no idea what the "or London" bit means, unfortunately.)

So now we need to find some Pecks (and, in particular, a Rose Peck) in/near Crewe and/or Sheffield during WWII. Easy as that. Or not..!   ;D

Fingers crossed!