Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16857 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Might contain some useful information:

http://timecoast1951.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/new-book-embracing-enemy-on-crewe-pows.html

I'd love to read it! But I've just checked Nantwich Bookshop, Waterstones, Amazon, eBay, etc. and it is nowhere to be found. Nobody has a copy. What happened to this book?!  :-(

An old issue of the cheshire family history society newsletter said they had copies - may be worth contacting them in case they have one old one somewhere  http://www.fhsc.org.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
An old issue of the cheshire family history society newsletter said they had copies - may be worth contacting them in case they have one old one somewhere  http://www.fhsc.org.uk

Many thanks for that! I have just sent them a mail.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
@avm:
Thanks for the extra info!

@Gibel:
That is something I have often thought about: the farm could not have been too far away from whatever camp the POW was registered to. But exactly how far would have been considered as acceptable...I have no idea.

Charles the policeman would already have been around 64 years old when the war started. I have to admit that I have no idea what the retirement age was back then (or if it still applied under such circumstances). Most things I can find indicate that it was 65.

Maybe Charles became a guard at one of the camps in the Sheffield/Crewe area. As an older policeman, maybe that was a possibility.
Or maybe Rose/Rosa was already a widow by the time the war started and had moved to the Sheffield area for some reason.
So many possibilities...

Perhaps I should try and find Dorothy or her children. IF we have the right people, someone must remember the story...

BTW: Earlier today I wrote something about the address for Rose/Rosa Peck in Stockport. It was twaddle - the buildings which can be seen on Goggle Maps look like 1970s, and she died in 1960. So maybe there was a farm there previously...
I found this earlier - it's all about the area around that address. Maybe I should drop them a line:
http://hmvcg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/5706.HMV-Heritage-Walks_Emailer.pdf

I will also send a letter to the Star tomorrow (today!). Bit late tonight - I'm a bit tired. So I hope what I've just written makes sense!

Thanks again,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Charles William Peck had retired from his police role, and taken his pension, before the start of WW2.

He appears to have died in North London (Hendon district) in 1942.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting. So maybe Rose/a moved up north after his death.

It does seem poignant that Birgit's family only talk about Rose Peck, and not the Peck family...
But maybe I'm just clutching at straws!

I'd better get to bed.

I'll be back... :-D

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 02 November 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Karen, that has been another background recurring thought of mine, which I'll say out loud now in support of what you've just said: where is Mr Peck in all this? Or is it just that the focus of the story has shifted naturally to Rose/Rosa because her name lives on as Birgit's middle name?

I do think it would be very useful to find out what was sited at New Beech Close before those modern buildings.

Let's not say 'clutching at straws', let's say 'exploring every possibility', which will inevitably involve plenty of eliminations and dead ends.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 02 November 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Let's not say 'clutching at straws', let's say 'exploring every possibility', which will inevitably involve plenty of eliminations and dead ends.

OK.  :)

I'll take another look at all this later. I really must do some work now, or I'll be in trouble.

This is all so much more fascinating than work...

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 02 November 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
The impression given by Google Street View of 2 New Beech Road is misleading. I think that this is not one of the modern blocks of flats, but an older Victorian/Edwardian house barely visible at street level but quite clear in the satellite view. Zoom in on St John The Baptist Church just south of New Beech Street, then follow Grundy Street due west. Where Grundy Street bends and turns south, the large house north-west-west of the bend is the one I'm talking about.

I looked at maps of this area from 1911 (http://maps.nls.uk/view/101597998) and 1946 (http://maps.nls.uk/view/101104205) and the house's distinctive footprint can be seen. Immediately north of what was then just Beech Road is a pottery works, a windpump and Walton Farm. The farm is roughly where the present-day Rosgill Close is located. So I can't yet eliminate this avenue of enquiry, though I do understand that there are as many factors against as in favour.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 02 November 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
There are houses for sale on New Beech Road that look late Victorian or Edwardian certainly pre war.

I imagine that there were checks made on the POWs on farms periodically so possibly a 20 mile radius of the camp. Having said that I really don't know.

Are there any photos from Emil or Gustav's time on the farm? Any mention of animals sheep or cows or any mention of crops grown? Who else was on the farm?