Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16759 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 02 November 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Another small point, after VE Day in 1945, they were no longer POWs but internees, some were quite happy not to return home and regulations were much relaxed

Mike

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 02 November 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The impression given by Google Street View of 2 New Beech Road is misleading. I think that this is not one of the modern blocks of flats, but an older Victorian/Edwardian house barely visible at street level but quite clear in the satellite view. Zoom in on St John The Baptist Church just south of New Beech Street, then follow Grundy Street due west. Where Grundy Street bends and turns south, the large house north-west-west of the bend is the one I'm talking about.

I see what you mean. On Google Maps (the plain & simple version), the number is definitely on that building. The photo shown by StreetView is down the road. Technology!

Looks like a lovely old house. And it had a lot of ground around it - on both of the maps you linked (thanks very much for that! I love maps. :-) )

On the 1946 map, there is an area next to the house's grounds marked as "Rec.". I was wondering if this is recreation? When I was a kid, we used to go "down the rec" in Southend.
If it was indeed an area for recreation (i.e. playing), then maybe it was used to grow food during the war? More speculation, I know, but possible. Maybe the gardens of No. 2 plus the rec were turned into a sort of smallholding.
Just an idea...

I really must do some work. I'll be back later...
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 02 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
@Gibel:
No, no photos. Unless Gustav's daughter has any, and she still hasn't contacted Birgit.  :(
All that was said in the family is that it was "a farm". That could, of course, be anything from a smallholding up to something enormous.

@Mazi:
I don't know exactly how that all worked. Emil apparently came home as soon as he could - but that was 1947. I don't understand why the POWs were not sent home earlier.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate you are working and time is valuable so you may not be able to reply quickly :)

At the end of the war all of Eastern Europe and part of Germany was in the hands of the Russians, Germany and holland and Belgium were without food or any infrastructure, so repatriation was not easy, and as a German officer if Emil lived in east Germany his fate would be uncertain.

Mike

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm not really here. I'm working.  ;D

Thanks for that.

Emil was from Hamburg, so he was a Wessie, as they say here.  :)
Difficult to imagine how hard it was back then. When Emil came home, the family had nothing. As I wrote earlier, almost everything Birgit had as a baby - clothes, nappies, even a pan to warm her food - was sent over by Mrs Peck.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
This really is a long shot, but many farmers looked to nfu mutual for all their insurance needs, they are still in operation but I have no idea if they keep records, or even if they would help, but there cannot be many farmers with the name Peck, just a location would help us.

Mike

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I've just dropped them a quick line. :-)
Thanks!

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I have re-read all the thread, going back to the Oswestry link, the free 1939 index tells me that Rose Peck is living in Oswestry in the household of Leonard A Evans.

Oswestry is very rural, and not that far away from the satellite camp of Crewe hall at Warmingham,
The now widowed Rose seems ideal to take an interest in a POW, might even have access to a few spare baby clothes,  in desperaty short supply in the UK then, when everything was still rationed, but of course she would not be the farmer.

It would be useful if someone could eliminate this family, at least it would be one less to consider

Mike

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Oswestry is very rural, and not that far away from the satellite camp of Crewe hall at Warmingham,

It is 36 miles away.

Karen,
Do try emails to the local papers, readers (if the letters are published) do remember names and if POW's worked locally.