Author Topic: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants  (Read 16761 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rose Peck and/or descendants
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that the proposed date of birth is 22nd April 1926 (for that Rose Rourke death)

So, nothing showing on free bmd or 1939 for that?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
No,that's why I can't make the connection.Rose,wherever she is might be "closed" in 1939 of course.

Here is a 1930 map of the area

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/461533/400556/12/101162

Regards
Roger

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 05 November 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been approved.

Perhaps they only work at weekends?

Maybe my foreign E-Mail address is the problem..?  :(
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 05 November 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
It looks possible (only possible) that the Rose Peck who married James Rourke may have been a young widow.There was a marriage of 3Q 1947,Don Valley,of a Norman Peck(transcribed as Peek?) to Rose Whitford.
There is then a death of Norman Peck aged 23 in Don Valley in 1948.Whether Norman Peck is related might still be worth tracing to se if he comes from a farming family.

Despair

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 05 November 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Despair,

It's late and I'm tired...  ::) But this is all very interesting!

I had not thought about the possibility of Rose being such a young woman. The idea in my head was always a woman who was at least middle-aged, if not older.

If Rose Whitford is our Rose, then she only became a Peck after Emil had retuned to Germany. Which is possible. We are going on what is in Birgit's christening cert from early 1949 (Godmother: Rose Peck) and how Emil referred to her (Mrs Peck). There would have been no need for him to have referred to her as Rose Whitford, even if that is how he had known her. (I hope you understand what I mean!)

Maybe the contact between the families had already fizzled out by the time she married Mr Rourke.

This is getting complicated!

I need to get some sleep and think about it again tomorrow.  :)

Thanks very much!
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 05 November 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
There are Rourke/Whitford births on free bmd in Doncaster in 1953 and 1959.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Monday 06 November 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Despair!

Apologies if this has been mooted before,but the following records look interesting if they can be pulled together with a birth for the Rose Peck concerned :-

Death of James Rourke,Doncaster,1927-2005
Death of Rose Rourke,Doncaster,1926-1999 (Rose would be unmarried approx.20 in 1946)
Marriage of James Rourke and Rose Peck Don Valley,4Q 1951

and then from the other end,
Family of Pecks at Farm House,Cantley,Doncaster in 1901 RG13/4415/86/11

Following through generations of the Charles Peck through 1911  and 1939 you will find that Rose is a family name and further components of the address are Top Hall Farm,Bawtry(?) Road(postcode DN4 7BU).This address is just over 2 miles from Doncaster Raceourse(DN2 6BB).

Regards
Roger

I'll follow up the Rourke trail.

I've looked up Top Hall Farm (Bawtry appears to be correct) and there are a number of businesses listed at that address, so it's probably not a farm now.
I'll follow it up, though.

Thanks again,
Karen

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Monday 06 November 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
There are Rourke/Whitford births on free bmd in Doncaster in 1953 and 1959.

Thanks for that. The eldest child has a somewhat unusual name, so I googled it and there are only a handful of people with this name combination to be found. I am considering calling them all by 'phone and asking if they are connected to our story..!  :D

Karen

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Monday 06 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
It's me again.  ;D

I spoke to Birgit this afternoon and I think we can rule out Rose Rourke.

Birgit said that the story told within the family is that Mr & Mrs Peck (Rose was not alone - she had a hubby there) looked after Emil "as though they were his parents".

Rose Peck/Rourke would have been around 20 when Emil was there - he was already mid-30s. I can't imagine someone so much younger than him being like a second mum...

If what the family said was true, then we can also rule out Rose Peck who died in Stockport in 1960, as she was a widow.
BTW, the Village Conservation group for the place where that Rose Peck lived have replied to me. They don't have any records of anything like that (POWs on farms) in their village. However, one member was living in the village during the war, so they are sending the story on to her to see if she remembers anything.

Little by little...

Karen