Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14112 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #198 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
1875 Births in the Parish of Urquhart in the County of Ross

Margaret Noble, born 28 Mar, C???? Village
Father - Angus Noble, railway porter
Mother - Ann Noble M/S Ross
parents marriage November(?) 1873, Auldern

As to your post about M Cant returning to having the (not husband's) baby, I think that is to do with the Poor House laws? 

Maybe you can read the Village name for Margaret's birth:

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
We might be giving poor Maggie Cameron/Noble a bad reputation.  Many people were debarred or restricted from entering the U.S.  I think many of the reasons for labelling someone a criminal were more subjective than legal.  If you google it you get a few book references.  Some referred to women travelling by themselves and refused entry because it was assumed they were prostitutes.  Etc. Etc.  Even though Maggie had her passage paid and seemed to have a guarantee of a job with a specific destination the job of wet nurse seemed, according to reading, about six months employment.  Somehow it was thought that breast milk lost its vitality the longer a woman breast fed.  Since one of the reasons for keeping a person out of the country was the possibility they might not have a job and become a burden on society perhaps someone made the decision just to exclude her since she also had a small child to look after.  Maggie Noble's only crime might have been she was a woman with a child to support.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:07 BST (UK) »
Annie, Google says there was a Conanbridge in Urquhart, so I think it says Conan Village.

Cosmac - that is just plain.... sad.  Makes sense though.  One thing I can't figure out is that on her ship manifest, which was many months before the attempted trip to the US, they stamped her as "gone to USA", or something similiar, (just going by memory).  Any theories?

Edit to add link:
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?id=e003624131&op=img&app=passengerlist

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:19 BST (UK) »
Unless the Gone to USA stamp referred to the person above.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:26 BST (UK) »
Could be, if their aim was bad with the stamper!  Beside her British Bonus stamp, it looks like a date over "5 yr", so I was trying to make sense of it all.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
The number of years experience she had as a domestic?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
I think you are right.... I see others on there with yrs listed.  Odd that they would care, unless passenger lists were also used for hiring purposes.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
MC was in Albert St Nairn on the 1891 census. She married my Gt grandad 22 May 1892 in Caunton Notts. On 25 Sep 1892 she was giving birth to a son James Cant Antliff in Chapelton Moss. Her mother registered the baby and stated that although her daughter was married the husband was not the father of the child. James sadly died a few weeks later.
George Henry and MC went on to have 6 children.

There seems to be some debate on the birth year of "Maggie". This may be the deciding point. My MC only has a possibility of a few years for "Maggie" to be hers.

Larkspur...See Reply #53 for Maggie's birth entry from SP & can you possibly fill us in with when/why she came to be so far from home please?

Annie

I have been looking for the reason she moved to Nottinghamshire for the last 40 odd years, with no luck at all. Even her eldest son could not tell me!! He did not even know her correct maiden name, and I searched for a Margaret KERR for a long time! The only thing I have found, one witness at the marriage, a Caunton man, friend of George Henry, had a wife from Scotland  ???
I know MC's daughter Jessie visited Scotland to stay with family as I have many photo's of kids with no names, I also know the Scottish "lot" visited Caunton as I have photo's of them too.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Trains Newark to Forres, these times are present day, so goodness knows how long the journey would be in 1891. Mmm thinking about it the Victorians were more efficient than us  :-X The cost being another factor, she was  a domestic servant....not much cash there.

Newark North Gate
Forres
10h 12m
4 changes

Newark North Gate
Forres
20h 40 mins
3 changes
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley