Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14134 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #217 on: Saturday 23 September 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
I should mention that I have found DNA links with Camerons in their trees.

But not a direct link like the Cants. I still have to work on that to see if I can find anyone with a direct Cameron relation to my tree, making Alexander Cameron is the right dad. Especially since it was contested at the time.

I assume they did not have DNA evidence back then?
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Saturday 23 September 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Very nice Cosmac!

Sara, try these links:
http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/torontodetail.html?key=236396

http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/torontodetail.html?key=24873

One link should take you to warrants, the other to criminal registers.  Check all the file titles for 1909, as 1909 is in more than one.

Or, if you get to the Archives, just tell them what you are looking for (as in name and date).
You may very well find nothing, as, like Cosmac pointed out, she may have been disbarred for absolutely no criminal reason. 
Her passenger record did state she had a large scar on her forehead.  Maybe the guard just thought she looked like a "tough" girl.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Saturday 23 September 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
I assume they did not have DNA evidence back then?

Nooo.  Not until the 1980's.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Saturday 23 September 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
I think Sara mentioned there was no sighting of Maggie Noble/Cameron/Cant in Canada (as such) apart from the Passenger List (1909) with Maggie Noble (no Victoria on there) until the birth of Edna Daisy?

This of course was (I think) prior to the Border Crossing info. of Maggie Noble (with dau Victoria) & the 1911 entry?

What I can't fathom is whether Maggie NOBLE (1909 Passenger), Maggie NOBLE 1909 (Border Crossing with Victoria) & Maggie CAMMERON 1911 (Inmate) are the same person  ???

Just using terms here for ease of following...

CRIMINAL (1909) & INMATE (1911) seem rather a coincidence but it seems a big gap between  ::)

If both are the same Maggie I can't get my head round how someone could be a CRIMINAL using 1 name & INMATE using another  :-\

Sara, you asked if there was anything else to consider at the ARCHIVES i.e. you need to look for both surnames I think & of course how long Maggie CAMMERON  was an INMATE  ???

Edna born 20 Jul 1911 i.e. if it's OUR Maggie as INMATE she would need to have been released prior to circa end of Oct 1910 (ASSUMING) a full term baby but was she already in a relationship prior to being an INMATE or was this someone she met after her release even 'though she proclaims to be married  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Saturday 23 September 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
What I can't fathom is whether Maggie NOBLE (Passenger), Maggie NOBLE (Border Crossing with Victoria) & Maggie CAMMERON (1911) are the same person

I don't think they are.  The Maggie Cammeron inmate was in a refuge (homeless shelter) so not really a jail, and it was indicated she was born in Ontario.  I just think we were looking for a Maggie Cameron, and as we have learned, look for one, find two hundred. 
"Our" Maggie doesn't seem to deviate from the Noble surname until she fills out the birth reg for Daisy, and I'm guessing by then, she realized having an illegitamate baby wouldn't help get a job in Canada, as opposed to being much more acceptable in Nairn.

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Saturday 23 September 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
What I can't fathom is whether Maggie NOBLE (Passenger), Maggie NOBLE (Border Crossing with Victoria) & Maggie CAMMERON (1911) are the same person

I don't think they are.  The Maggie Cammeron inmate was in a refuge (homeless shelter) so not really a jail, and it was indicated she was born in Ontario.  I just think we were looking for a Maggie Cameron, and as we have learned, look for one, find two hundred. 
"Our" Maggie doesn't seem to deviate from the Noble surname until she fills out the birth reg for Daisy, and I'm guessing by then, she realized having an illegitamate baby wouldn't help get a job in Canada, as opposed to being much more acceptable in Nairn.

Yes, I can imagine that. Hard enough to get a job. My grandfather had a hard time getting a job, and my (adoptive) great-grandmother was not pleased with my grandmother marrying a foreigner (from England!).
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Saturday 23 September 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Apologies...my head is sore & I'm making errors...

Maggie (INMATE) would have had to have been (inside) after Oct 1910 & 'with child' but thanks BB as I hadn't picked up on the INMATE term being in a Refuge probably because I was focused on the word CRIMINAL & of course a connection i.e. INMATE would fit the thinking process (well mine anyhow)  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Sunday 24 September 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
So, after 200+ posts, are we done?  Do we get to open that case of wine yet?  ;D