Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #10 Ruby Wax  (Read 14683 times)

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #10 Ruby Wax
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed watching this, if you can say that, because it was so sad.  Very absorbing, one of the best episodes.   Anna

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Very interesting episode. Was it planned or just a coincidence that this was shown today on the anniversary of the Battle of Cable Street (London, 4 October 1936) when anti-fascist demonstrators famously stopped a march by Arnold Mosley's British Union of Fascists (Blackshirts)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cable_Street

Blue

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
I thought it was a very interesting story and a different take on many I have seen before. She was on an emotional and personal mental health journey to find out who she was, why her parents behaved like they did and made me think about how we all learn more about ourselves when we research our ancestors. She was very 'real'.
It was also nice to 'revisit' Vienna again even if it was only on TV having visited several years ago for a holiday.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 October 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
I also felt this was an interesting episode especially following the journey of mental health in her family.

However I was surprised that she seemed to have no inkling about her family being involved the persecutions of Jews. Yes, her parents may not have talked about it and may even put a rosy light on what happened to protect her, but Jews escaping Nazi Austria can only mean one thing and yet she seemed so naive.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 05 October 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
I got the impression that she didn't know her family were Jewish, they never spoke about family history.  All she knew was that they had come over from Austria to live in USA, so just another immigrant family.  It was only when she found the suitcase in the attic that she had some kind of inkling.  I wonder if she approached WDYTYA producers with the suitcase and they realised there was a story in it?

So sad that the mental illness had been passed down from her g.grandmother (and who knows if it was in the family even earlier) and seemingly only down the female line.  I'd have been very worried I'd passed it on to my daughters if it had been me.  As she said herself without the drugs she's been taking for the past 20 years, she too would be as mentally ill as her ancestors were - she admitted she'd been in The Priory for treatment.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
I too think her questions about the Nazis' treatment of Jews in the war were remarkably naive for an educated jewish lady like Ruby. Also, I'd have had those letters translated soon after I'd found them.

I thought this episode was one of the best. I thought it would just go over 'old ground' re WW2 and the Nazis but the mental health aspect was tragically engrossing. I admire her for wanting this shared with viewers. At the end, I dreaded that she would be too overwhelmed by what she'd discovered but I can see that it gave her much deeper understanding of her own experiences.

To say: 'brave lady' seems a bit trite but I really mean it.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Not  a fan of Ruby Wax but really enjoyed this one  :)

Rosie

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
I got the impression that she didn't know her family were Jewish, they never spoke about family history.  All she knew was that they had come over from Austria to live in USA, so just another immigrant family. 

I wonder if she approached WDYTYA producers with the suitcase and they realised there was a story in it?

We know from this that she knew at least part of the story

Just found this - BBC originally said 'No'  to Ms Wax!   :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10341437/Does-Ruby-Wax-have-one-too-many-Nazi-tales-for-the-BBC.html

Maybe they asked her to act as though the information was all new to her
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
No never liked her 'over the top character' BUT the show was interesting   -
concerning the mental health issues, it is very very sad to see how it carries right down the line, she never mentioned worrying that her children may have problems.. I do so hope not.

I have a very very vague recollection of this lady --- and an article some many years ago, regarding her relationship with her Mother - or even her parents.  It was an in depth - honest? account - but as I say it is somewhere  in the messy abyss deep at the back of this old head...  Maybe with the Argylles or Greens...   When I have enough interest or time, I will browse Google for it.. maybe :)  'muy consado dias'

xin