Author Topic: HUGGINS, Dewsbury or other areas nearby  (Read 810 times)

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HUGGINS, Dewsbury or other areas nearby
« on: Friday 15 September 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for any HUGGINS families who may have had connections to Lincolnshire, late 1800s.
Elizabeth Eliza HUGGINS died in Dewsbury 1878, age 23  or so.   She was born in Coningsby area (if the same person)  1854 and had 2 illegitimate girls 1872 and 1874, both born Boston in the workhouse and baptised both there and at St Botolph Church, (Boston Stump). Both daughters Rebecca and Eliza were raised by relatives in Coningsby and Boston, but Elizabeth disappears and I was not able to find any marriage or in census, so it seems very likely she could be this one in Dewsbury,  As there are Huggins families in WY I have wondered if she may have gone to live with them, or possibly just gone into domestic service. I havent as yet ordered her death certificate so that is the next step. 
Unfortunately there is also a gap in the Boston workhouse admission and discharge registers for the 1870s.
She came from large families, both parents and grandparents, but then that is usual for those times!
Any clues or connections welcome!!

BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUGGINS, Dewsbury or other areas nearby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
Presumably this is her birth from GRO:
Elizabeth Eliza Huggins mmn Scott June quarter 1854 Boston

which fits in with the death you have suggested, and there are no other Elizabeth Eliza births or marriages of Elizabeth E to a Huggins around.

Is your query that you want to know why she is in Dewsbury?

Think the death certificate for name of informant definitely would be useful.

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply last month.

Ive received Elizabeths death certificate and she died at Webster Street Dewsbury, with her brother Charles present.  As it also states her as daughter of Charles Huggins it does seem to be the same family from Coningsby.
However we have no clue as to why she was in Dewsbury....both she and Charles were in Coningsby in 1871 census, and Charles back there in 1881.  Perhaps there were family connections to other Huggins families in Dewsbury.

Any information about Webster St area - i gather the slums were demolished but the street still exists.  Are there any transcriptions or indexes of burials for the time?  Would like to find where she is buried, but unlikely to to have any headstone!

Are you able to direct me to any of the above?

many thanks!
Richard
BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 00:29 BST (UK) »

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY