Author Topic: Help and advice  (Read 2007 times)

Offline julianne Rowsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help and advice
« on: Tuesday 02 August 05 08:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for anyone who can help.

My Evan Jones was born in Llanwnda, Caernavonshire in 1848. He married Alice who was born 1851 in Llanllechid and also had two other marriages.  His children were lydia b1876 Merioneth, wales, evan b 1878 Llanwrod, margaret b1880 Llanwnda, John W b1885 cymmer, glamorgan, Owen b 1886 cymmer, glamorgan, and Mary e 1898 cymmer, glamorgan.  I have found the family easy enough on the 1881-1901 census.

Now i face the problem of finding him on previous census's or trying to claify his parents.  On the 1871 census there are 3 Evan Jones's all born around samilar time. 

How do i go about trying to find out which one is him. I though that looking at his parents and sibling names to see if any match with his children.  On one of the Census the mothers name is Lydia and knowing that his eldest daughter is also Lydia i thought that this may be him.

Can anyone help
Rowsell/Baker/Hillard- somerset
Griggs/Poole/Pettitt -cambridgeshire
Whatmough/Bonnett -Rochdale
Jones- shropshire, Caernavonshire and Pontypridd
Stocker/Oliver-shropshire
Holt - London
Ellis/Griffiths/Burridge-Devon
Meakin - Ireland
Churchill/Nelmes - Glouchester
Rowe
Osborne/James - Glamorgan

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help and advice
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Julianne

Do you have his father's name & occupation from any/all of the marriage certificates?  If not, I would suggest your next step be to look into the marriages.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 08:41 BST (UK) »
In addition, you could try following the "other" Evan JONESes forward to the 1881 census, you might find that they are still at home or that they have occupations which distinguish them from "yours".

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
You're obviously more awake than me this morning Arranroots ;D  That's a good idea!

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk