Author Topic: William Burroughs marriage to Ann  (Read 1487 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
William Burroughs marriage to Ann
« on: Friday 22 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
I am new to Gloucestershire research so would appreciate some help.

One of my brickwalls for a number of years has been the marriage of James May of Speen near Newbury, Berks to Hannah Burroughs or Barron on 6 Dec 1720 in Speen. There is a marriage Bond which unhelpfully gives the 'either or' for Hannah's surname, and also gives James' residence as Speen and Hannah's as Wick Ham. I have always thought this referred to Wickham near Newbury but have never been able to find her baptism.

Now, I have almost accidentally come across on FindMyPast a Hannah Burroughs baptised in 1694 in CHILDSWICKHAM, Gloucestershire, daughter of William and Ann. Its about 30 miles from Speen so perhaps unlikely, but not impossible. Perhaps whoever wrote out the marriage bond had no idea about Childswickham and just associated it to nearby Wickham. or perhaps I'm clutching at straws!!??

I found another daughter baptised in Childswickham to William and Ann: Ann in 1698, but no others.

In an attempt to find out more, I looked for a marriage for William and Ann but couldn't find one. I also wondered if he might have left a will.

Can anyone throw any light? Are Gloucerstershire PRs and wills available online or do I need to plead for a look up?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Burroughs marriage to Ann
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
Well this is a bit of a puzzle. According to what I can find on line James May married Hanah Buroughs in Speen on 6 Dec 1720 by Banns (Berkshire Marriage Index Transcription) yet the Sarum Marriage Bonds has him marrying Hanah Barrone by Licence on the same day. The marriage licence also gives the bride's parish as Wick in Hampshire. It doesn't help that there are two places called Wick in Hampshire and also a Wickham!

It might be worthwhile e-mailing Berkshire Record Office and asking for the details from the marriage entry.

By the way Childswickham is nearer 50 miles away from Speen, rather than 30.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Family Search

There is also a Son

Thos BURROWES - christened at Childswickham 1 May 1692 - parents: William BURROWS, and Anne

and then on Ancestry - christened at Childs Wickham

Michael BURROWS - birth: 6 Mar - baptism 7 March 1696 -Will & Anna

Thomas BURROWS - christened at Childs Wickham 18 January 1707 - father: William
Sarah BURROWS - 29 January - 1705 : William
John BURROWS - 4 May 1707 : William & Ann
Wilkinson (William son of William) - 12 December 1708
James BURROWS - 16 June 1710

etc

?

and

William BEROW married Ann DRINKWATER - 31 March 1678, Down Hatherley, Gloucestershire (about 20 miles away)

---

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional siblings, Capetown

It certainly is a bit of a puzzle, emeltom!

I took the details down from that Sarum marriage bond years ago when it was available online through the FFHS and, I may be wrong, but I have it as the either/or Burroughs/Barrone thing + I have it as Wick Ham rather than Wick, Hants. Hence me thinking she may have come from the Wickham near Newbury and Speen.

I can find Wickham in Hants - way down near the south coast, as is the only Wick I can find on google maps in Hants. Is the other one anywhere near Newbury?

It seemed so hopeful that there was a Hannah Burroughs baptised at about the right time in a place that contained the 'Wick' and the 'Ham' but it seems I may well have been clutching at those straws after all!

Thanks anyway,
Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
The Sarum Marriage Bond transcription definitey says
Bride's Parish: Wick
Bride's County: Hampshire

There are two Wicks in Hants, one near to Bournemouth and one just south of Salisbury.

I think you would need to see an image of the original marriage bond to be sure of exactly what is written there and I don't think there are images on line although I'll be happy to be corrected.

I'm also confused by the fact that he marries Hannah Barrone by Licence and Hanah Buroughs by Banns. It is usual to do one or the other. I have never come across anyone doing both. However I find it difficult to accept that there were two James Mays marrying in Speen on the same day, both marrying someone called Hannah. As for the two different surnames, was Hannah married before? Neither transcription mentions her marital status eg Spinster or widow.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Interestingly I have just found a Quaker birth for a Hannah Barrow in Hampshire, born 22 Jan 1697 daughter of John and Mary of Ham or Hampreston, Dorset.. The writing is not brilliant and it could also possibly be read as Barron. Also not a huge leap from Barrow to Buroughs either.

Hampreston is just north of Bournemouth and there is a Wick just to the east of Bournemouth. Did the family move there or was this where Hanah was working when she married?

Emeltom

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Interestingly I have just found a Quaker birth for a Hannah Barrow in Hampshire, born 22 Jan 1697 daughter of John and Mary of Ham or Hampreston, Dorset.. The writing is not brilliant and it could also possibly be read as Barron. Also not a huge leap from Barrow to Buroughs either.

Hampreston is just north of Bournemouth and there is a Wick just to the east of Bournemouth. Did the family move there or was this where Hanah was working when she married?

Emeltom

Ah! That IS interestng. I had previously found a promising baptism for James May - and that's a Quaker baptism as well. Its 10 March 1685 s/o John and Mary at the Newbury Meeting Place. I wonder if this is the connection?
HELP!!!

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
Did they have any children? If so how were they baptised?

Emeltom

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
?

? what children did James MAY and 'Hannah' have - and did Hannah die and James remarry

?

Family Search

Baptism at Wickham, Berkshire : 27 February 1737 - James MAY, parents: James & Elizabeth

----

An fascinating website for Berkshire which I found very interesting with my Berkshire ancestors

New Landscapes: Enclosure in Berkshire, produced by Berkshire Record Office

http://www.berkshireenclosure.org.uk

New Landscapes, makes use of the latest digital technologies to provide access to historic manuscript .....  common fields of the county of Berkshire between 1738 and 1883.  Early maps of Speen etc.