Author Topic: Another location mystery, Iris and friend maybe on a tour of Snowdon  (Read 3434 times)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another location mystery, Iris and friend maybe on a tour of Snowdon
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
I know all the hard work has been done but might be useful. 1919

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
Well, that's certainly conclusive, japeflakes.  Good one  :) 

A really good close up and possibly before the fire station (fits with heywood's info). Where did you find it?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
The gateway is no longer there - demolished to make way for a road:

https://goo.gl/LqUFHJ

https://goo.gl/ygQkhK

Compare the view in the Francis Frith photo
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
A different type of confirmation: the photo shows one of 'Cream's coaches'. Based in Llandudno, Cream's provided coach trips, including one to Conwy castle. A couple of other castles I looked at in the Llandudno area would have been in much worse shape than the one in this photo. Probably Conwy then. It's by far the most impressive in the area and also the closest to Llandudno.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Well, that's certainly conclusive, japeflakes.  Good one  :) 

A really good close up and possibly before the fire station (fits with heywood's info). Where did you find it?

Gadget
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/nostalgic-pictures-show-conwy-through-9752687

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
A different type of confirmation: the photo shows one of 'Cream's coaches'. Based in Llandudno, Cream's provided coach trips, including one to Conwy castle. A couple of other castles I looked at in the Llandudno area would have been in much worse shape than the one in this photo. Probably Conwy then. It's by far the most impressive in the area and also the closest to Llandudno.

Mike

I didn't realize until your post that the name of the bus company was "Cream's" I thought it read "Creamo" and was advertising. Here we use Creamo in our coffee! It's amazing what one can miss, even when it's plain as day. I managed to read the names along the top of the bus, but missed the big name on the end!
Thanks! :)
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
... It's amazing what one can miss, even when it's plain as day. I managed to read the names along the top of the bus, but missed the big name on the end!
Thanks! :)
Brian

Hi Brian, I'm Welsh so the one thing that jumped out at me in the photo was 'Llandudno' on the back of the bus. I looked up 'Cream's buses coaches Llandudno' and found an old archive reference to 'coach tours to the castle'. Cream's coaches still exists today, surprisingly!

OT but growing up in Wales, it seemed like there were castles - or the remains of them -
everywhere. Two in my home town. I remember being really surprised to learn that they were actually 'English Castles' built to consolidate and defend land acquisition in Wales -  and the rule over them - by English (Norman) noblemen. The big ones like Conwy were built by King Edward 1 in the 13th century. Partly to consolidate and defend English rule in Wales. But also to visibly demonstrate the overpowering might of English rule on the 'Welsh rebels'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't carry a torch for Welsh nationalism. All this happened eight hundred years ago and I haven't lived in Wales (or anywhere else in the UK) for 40 years. But as someone interested in history, I think it's good to know the historical context in which these castles (Conwy included) were built.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
I was looking for somehing else entirely when I came across this-typical!

Regards
Roger

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
That's the one that I found that led me to decided it was Conwy, Roger  ;D
I only linked it cos it was  possibly copyrighted.

Just looking at the arch and tower* on the far left on this image of Conwy Castle:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~brett/photosleuth/photochrom10620.jpg

There are similarities.

* tower feature to right of archway, also the stonework pattern over the arch.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***