Author Topic: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PS Re: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 16:38 BST (UK) »
I don't wish to criticise anyone running NMFHS.. they're all volunteers and probably leading busy lives. They've been immensely helpful in the past and I appreciate all they do and have done. It's the same I think with all such voluntary organisations. A few people do all the work, and the rest of us appear to complain!
It's just frustrating about the Forum. There were loads of very local people using that who know North Meols/Southport really well; many of them still living there.
Through that Forum I managed to identify someone that I met age 10 (50+ years ago!!) that my grandmother said was an 'aunt'.. she lived near my grandmother. I never knew her surname. But I knew roughly where she lived. Someone on the Forum knew who I was talking about because she was in his Tree! Stupidly, I lost the message thread.
So, as you say, it would be great if they would just archive it.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Southport (North Meols) Family History forum??
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
I’m a member of the Southport Group of the Liverpool & SW Lancashire FHS. The society has a forum on the website and if Southport questions come up on the forum and no one with Southport knowledge is around the questions are usually pointed out to the Southport group. The Southport Group can also be contacted by email via the site.

The group holds a help desk at the Atkinson library on a Saturday morning, and also has help desk at Formby and Crosby libraries.

Alternatively why not post your questions here, their may well be people reading them who have the required local knowledge.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for that. So that explains the Southport group I saw mentioned somewhere.
I don’t have a particular question at the moment but will certainly come back here if I do.
Thanks again.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
A "Thank you" from me, as well, Gibel. I know of the Liverpool & SW Lancashire FHS, but must admit I have never actually tried to really use it. ( I think we were both rather sad that the Southport forum seemed to have vanished in a practical sense.) I don't have any relevant query at present, but I really had valued, as Jane says, that really local touch and knowledge.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)