Author Topic: Help with 15th century Wills  (Read 3528 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with 15th century Wills
« on: Monday 25 September 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have two Wills from the 1490s which I am struggling to read through and hope someone here can help me.

The first is the 1493 will of John Assherst of Ashford and the second is the 1498 will of Ellen Essherst of Ashford.

Unfortunately the file images are too big even for me to attach an extract here. If anyone can help though please let me know and I'll send the images to you by pm or email.

Many Thanks for any ideas or help

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 15th century Wills
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the file images are too big even for me to attach an extract here.

Matt, if you have digital scans, try snipping the images into sections, as you've done in some of your other threads?

If they're still too big, there's some guidance on resizing images in this thread ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=372537.msg3657676

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the file images are too big even for me to attach an extract here.

Matt, if you have digital scans, try snipping the images into sections, as you've done in some of your other threads?

If they're still too big, there's some guidance on resizing images in this thread ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=372537.msg3657676

Hiya

I've cropped the images down into two or three sections but these still appear to be too large for Rootschat. I will see if I can crop one down again into smaller sections and see if that works.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Here's part 1 of the 1498 Will of Ellen Essherst.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Here's part 2 and 3 of the will [this is page 2 split into two images].

Unfortunately the writing isn't very straight in some places and so there may be some overlap between the images, sorry about that.

I look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions about this Will.

Many thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Here's the first half of the first page of the 1493 Will of John Asshurst of Ashford. Hopefully this image is cropped enough for Rootschat to handle.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
And here's the second half of this part of the Will.

I will

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Last image image from the first part, and the heading to the second section, of this Will. I will post the remaining images tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Below is the opening of Ellen Essherst's will, which I've done rather quickly for now. I can have a go at the rest for you in due course, but not tonight.

To be honest, it will be quicker and easier to provide just the English translation, unless you do particularly need the full Latin transcript? Please be aware that, even so, it may take some time.

=====

In dei no(m)i(n)e Amen penulti(m)o die me(n)s(is) dece(m)bri(s) Anno D(omi)ni
mill(es)imo CCCClxxxxviijo Ego Elena Essherst de p(ar)ochia de
assheford vidua co(m)pos me(n)t(is) existens et in bona memoria
Condo test(amentu)m meu(m) ac mea(m) ulti(m)am volu(n)tate(m) in hu(n)c modu(m) Inprimis
lego a(n)i(m)am mea(m) deo om(n)ipotenti b(ea)te marie virg(in)i et om(n)ibus s(an)c(t)is
Corpus q(ue) meu(m) sepultur(e) tradend(um) in cimiterio eccl(es)ie p(ar)ochi(ali)s
beate Marie de Assheford predicta iuxta marit(um) meu(m) It(em) lego sum(mo)
altari dict(e) eccl(es)ie p(ro) decimis meis oblit(is) iijs iiijd It(em) lego lu(min)i
beate marie ib(ide)m xxd It(em) lego lum(in)i alte cruc(is) iijs iiijd Ite(m)
lum(in)i s(an)c(t)e Anne xijd It(e)m lego Margarete Mayhew s(er)vienti ...

In the name of God Amen. The penultimate day of the month of December in the year of the Lord 1498. I Ellen Assherst of the parish of Ashford, widow, being in sound mind and good memory, make my testament and last will in this way. First, I bequeath my soul to Almighty God, the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints, and my body to be taken to a grave in the cemetery of the parish church of the Blessed Mary of Ashford aforesaid, near my husband. Item I bequeath to the high altar of the said church for my forgotten tithes, 3 shillings 4 pence. Item I bequeath to the light of the Blessed Mary in the same place, 20 pence. Item I bequeath to the light of the high cross, 3 shillings 4 pence. Item to the light of St Anne, 12 pence. Item I bequeath to Margaret Mayhew (my) servant ...