Author Topic: Abraham Firth of Wortley  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Abraham Firth of Wortley
« on: Tuesday 02 August 05 11:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I'm in the wrong part of the country, but I really don't think it is that big an issue re my query.
I have a Abraham Firth in my tree who allegedly was born about 1814, give or take a little bit.   In 1839/40 he, along with a brother (Joseph) were rather naughty and ended up being transported to Tasmania as convicts.   Another family researcher claims Abe was married in 1839 in Leeds / Wortley area.  Thats fine, but the marriage certs he has turned up say his fathers name was James Firth, and on the death cert I have his fathers name is listed as Abraham Firth.   Is the some-one willing to have a read for me and see what they came uncover, my Abraham's trade was a cloth weaver.   Thanks
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Firth of Wortley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Was the marriage you are talking about to a Jane Shann in 1838?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 08:34 BST (UK) »
I really don't know, the name my cousin ( 'x' times removed) got a marriage certificate for a Sarah fielden,   I will have a search and see if I can find the birthday for Abraham firth.   I took him out when it surfaced that he wasn't a free man until 1856 and in Tasmania to boot, as my ancestor (his alleged first born) was born in 1851 and the family had been told that Ab and Mary married at Portland in 1849, yeah! Mary married a Daniel Kelly in 1849 at Portland Victoria, but I don't know what happened to Daniel.  He disappeared.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline Nessie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can suggest is that you send off for the marriage certificate of Abraham Firth and Jane Shann who were married in St Peters Leeds in 1838 ref number is CE46/4/176. That would give you Abrahams fathers name and occupation.

I will see if I can find any more Abraham Firths in the area.

Offline Nessie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 05 13:35 BST (UK) »
I have had another look at Familysearch.org and there are no records of an Abraham Firth born in Hunset. There are one or two from the surrounding areas born about the same time. Are you sure he was born in Hunslet?

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 05 14:06 BST (UK) »
Did I say Hunslet? I had thought I'd said Wortley or that proximity he was a 'native' of Wortley and St peter's of leeds is mentioned Make anymore sense?
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline Nessie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
My apologies Abbygail, you did say Wortley. Hunslet, Wortley and Holbeck are all the same area. St Peters is the Parish Church in the centre of Leeds.

Maybe someone could do a look-up for you for any Firth familes in the 1851 census living in Wortley. Can't ask for the 1841 without an address.

Offline reed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 06 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Abigail

Hello    I may be sending you off in the wrong direction but I live a two minute drive from a village called Wortley Sheffield .   Which at one time before the boundries were changed was in West Riding of Yorkshire. There are many families in this area called Firth, my ancesters being one of them,but I have yet to establish where my great grand father came from? His name was Joseph Firth he had two children born in France,  My Grand mother was one of them her name was Hannah She died in 1929 in Stocksbridge Nr Sheffield. There is a Local History Group in Thurgoland the next village to Wortley and they have a web site, you may find out something from them. 

Good Luck 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 06 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Abygail

I see from a Google search that somebody apparently researching the same brothers has given Joseph's full name as "Joseph Priestly Firth." Assuming that's reliable, could they be the sons of Abraham Firth and Ruth Priestley who married on 15 Aug 1793 at Elland, Yorks (according to an IGI entry)?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)