Author Topic: Stationers' Hall  (Read 561 times)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Stationers' Hall
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Dear All
Some time ago, on WDYTYA, someone was helped by a visit to Stationers' Hall to find out about his relative, a law stationer.  Typically, the programme didn't explain how ordinary mortals such as I can access such info.  Several generations of my Lewins (William Lewin, born about 1805 and his son, also William, born 1827 for instance) were law stationers, and the info that was obtained on the programme would be wonderful.  Any help would be very gratefully received.
Regards
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stationers' Hall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
It looks as though access is rather restricted, though this could change - see https://stationers.org/library-archives/archives.html

This page suggests alternative ways of accessing information, including microfilm copies of their records at a number of libraries.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
I would certainly recommend that you contact them.

I have in my tree an apothecary and my sister, by coincidence, went to the apothecary's hall (connected to the guild) for a business meeting.  Sure enough, she located our relative.

From that experience, we found the guild to be so helpful.

You can't lose - and may gain much!

FS

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
I'm in the same situation, ever since the WDYTYA with Gary Lineker I have wanted to contact them about my great-grandfather, to see firstly if they would have apprenticeship records from Manchester rather than only for London, and if so then what is available.  But I haven't actually got around to asking or to visiting one of the libraries to have a look at the archive copies.  It isn't clear from the web page whether the copies in libraries would include records of individuals or only of publications.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Family Search and John in Sussex
Thank you very much for your replies and good advice.  I will indeed do as you suggest.
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)