Author Topic: 1860 Headstone- Fergus???  (Read 898 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1860 Headstone- Fergus???
« on: Thursday 05 October 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have just returned from Newry, Co. Down where I found a headstone at Ryan's Presbyterian Church with the name Fergus 1860.  I have only found my 3x Great Grandfather date of death being 1872 so assume this date of 1860 could be his Father?  I have tried the Church but they don't have burial records for 1860. I've tried other sources including newspaper archives for Newry and just entered 1860 and the surname of Fergus, including variations but nothing.  Before I give up and accept I won't find this information out, can anybody with more experience then me advise something else I could check or have I hit the final wall for this side of my family??

As always thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Headstone- Fergus???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
Is Fergus the Christian name or surname? 

Is Fergus  the only inscription on the headstone - no other words at all?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Fergus is the only name on the headstone with 1860 written underneath.  It is large plot with a metal frame around the outside of the grave, therefore I'm thinking more then one person was buried there. Fergus is the surname, however, other records I've checked on my family are written Fergue, Forgie, Forgy ,Forgosen, Ferguson, etc. My 3x Great Grandfather lived on 1 acre of land a short distance from the church back in 1864 and he passed in 1872 so I'm thinking his parents maybe?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
Fergus is the only name on the headstone with 1860 written underneath.  It is large plot with a metal frame around the outside of the grave, therefore I'm thinking more then one person was buried there. Fergus is the surname, however, other records I've checked on my family are written Fergue, Forgie, Forgy ,Forgosen, Ferguson, etc. My 3x Great Grandfather lived on 1 acre of land a short distance from the church back in 1864 and he passed in 1872 so I'm thinking his parents maybe?

So it is a family plot likely purchased in in 1860.
Have you at checked PRONI? http://www.bagenalscastle.com/ancestry/abbrevs.htm#proni
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
This would appear to me to be a family plot but I'm not sure if 1860 was the date it was purchased something I never thought of.  I just assumed somebody in 1860 was buried there??