Author Topic: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?  (Read 23530 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 October 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
There are probably different requirements for different countries.  We are in the UK. (Hope the EU doesn't get sniffy about short/long certificates when we are no longer members.)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
My husband had to get a full birth certificate to apply for his passport, a short one would not do.
http://www.passports-office.co.uk/blog/passport_birth_certificate_short_long/

Since 1983 (I think), birth in the UK alone hasn’t been sufficient to qualify you for a British passport. You need to prove that your parents are/were lawfully in the UK too.  This was to do with illegal migrants having children in the UK, getting passports for them and then arguing they should be allowed to stay as they had a British child.  So now if an illegal migrant has a child in the UK, it has no right to a British passport and no automatic right to residency.

So I would guess that the requirement for the long birth certificate is in some way connected with proving your parents were British Citizens, or at least lawfully settled in the UK at the time of your birth.  Something like that.
Elwyn

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
mmmm Elwyn, hubby had to go for an interview too at the nearest passport office.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
mmmm Elwyn, hubby had to go for an interview too at the nearest passport office.

That's standard with first time applicants, and in certain other situations. To prevent identity fraud.
Elwyn

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
hubby had to go for an interview too at the nearest passport office.

I've never heard of that before, some of my adult grandsons recently bought passports for the first time and they didn't have to have an interview.  One of them doesn't even have a driving licence as id and still lives at home, so no other id to offer, apart from a bank card.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
My sister got her first passport 2 years ago aged 63 and she had to go for an interview. The rule came out awhile ago as I remember reading about it.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/your-passport-interview

Oh this is the official site  ;D

Thanks for posting the link, which I used out of curiosity.  What a rigmarole!!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
My sister got her first passport 2 years ago aged 63 and she had to go for an interview. The rule came out awhile ago as I remember reading about it.

Are they actually going to interview everyone over 16 who wants a first passport?  There will be a huge backup.