Author Topic: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?  (Read 23529 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 October 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Surely when the birth is registered, the copy given to the parents is the legal copy?

No and the parents are advised to get a full certificate.  I guess some people don't bother but it can cause all sorts of problems later, as the people in the article found out.

Also the comment in the article that the price depends on "the council" is totally wrong.  GRO set the price and the only way you would pay more is if you decided to order a birth certificate via Ancestry or such like.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
The short certificate is issued free, and is still used to send in support of a child benefit application. It contains the name of the child and date/district of birth, nothing else.

A full certificate ( a copy of the register entry), which shows the details of the parents,  cost £4 each at the time of registration (a statutory cost set by GRO)  and most people get one, quite often two, but they don't have to.... it is optional.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 October 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
From memory, the short form was acceptable for registered my children at primary school in the 1990s. When they finished at the primary school the short form was returned home.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 October 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
When I had my children I was advised to buy the full certificate for them, as at the time it was usually unmarried mothers who had the short certificate for their child as it doesn't show parents names.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 October 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
I only have a short certificate and the fact that it is only the short certificate has never been a problem in over sixty years! Both my children only have short certificates too and never had a problem
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
A short certificate is not accepted in a Scottish divorce (or cessation of civil partnership) action where children are involved; only a certificate specifying parentage conforms with the requirement that any action affecting the welfare of children must be intimated to any person with an interest, which may include the biological father.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
This what Leicester City Council say
From 1 November 2017, all certificates issued on the day of registration will cost £4 per copy. This will then increase to £7 and eventually £10 once the registration is archived. Free short birth certificates will no longer be issued.
https://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-community/births-marriages-and-deaths/register-a-birth/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

You get even more of a problem if like me and many many other servicemen, your children have consular birth certificates. They are absolutely worthless as proof of who you are.

British consuls have large ledgers to record births which are one of documents. When you register the birth you have to tell them how many copies you require. The birth register is filled out and photo copies are made, the consul then signs the original and the copies in ink and a seal on a ribbon is attached to the copies. These are what you take away with you on the day they are made.

They are not accepted as proof of birth because they are photo copies, dammed stupid reasoning if you ask me because the signature and seal are originals.

Luckily when Junior required a passport he had kept his old PO issued one year passport which is accepted by the passport office. Good job he went on a school trip to France and got one.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
ALL British Birth Certificates are useless as a form of identification! ;D
It says so on the certificate.

At the bottom it says:
WARNING: A Certificate is not evidence of identity.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)