Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 October 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
If you want to stir them up a little more, just state that you do not have a scanner, and thus cannot put "scanned" documents on YOUR tree.

As it is your tree, not theirs, it is up to you, and you alone, what information goes on there.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 09 October 17 04:17 BST (UK) »

I would tell the OP that you have spent your hard earned cash on buying certificates at £9.25 each and do not intend to put them on Ancestry so people like the OP can get the information for nothing. 

That's what a selfish attitude looks like, PharmaT.

Is that you? No
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 09 October 17 07:09 BST (UK) »
I have my tree on ancestry, mainly to have an "off site" backup for my tree.  I have not scanned in my sources, just put i a reference in the comments.  I guess it is just laziness re scanning but I have so much to work on and I was researching for about 11 years before I put anything on ancestry so scanning is not my priority.

No, why one earth should you delete your research, there is no requirement to add images of certificates or anything else on Ancestry.

I have now been involved in a discussion on a genealogy group on FB where someone was asking why someone wouldn't have the certificates.  A few of us commented saying they may do but haven't scanned them in and I explained how I worked with my certificates.  The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.  I really can't face the mountain of scanning that would be involved but now I feel really bad and anxious.  I don't want to spoil another person's hobby and definitely don't want to ruin a website.  Should I delete my trees and my account to tidy it up? what then is the best, and cheapest way to have an offsite backup?

The person who said that it simply talking rubbish ignore them.

If however you think something they have said has struck a chord inside you why not try a different approach in the future.
When someone asks for information from you instead of scanning the certificate and sending them a copy perhaps you could scan the certificate and add it to your tree on Ancestry.
That would also have the advantage of building an online archive of your certificates in case of flood or fire.

Do not feel you have to provide anything for anyone, not providing certificates does not mess up Ancestry and does not spoil the site.

You also ask what is the best, and cheapest way to have an offsite backup.

The cheapest is free but whether it is best for you is another matter.

Free webspace used to be provided by Rootsweb, they were taken over by Ancestry who still provide free webspace (Even projects like FreeBMD and FreeCen use their webspace to host their websites, as do I for many of my website pages).

See http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~websites/

Unlike the Ancestry tree site you have to build the webpage yourself but the advantage is you do not give Ancestry a licence to use your data however they want.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 October 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
perhaps you could scan the certificate and add it to your tree on Ancestry.

I thought that was something the OP didn't want to do, why should she just to satisfy someone on Facebook?

I would tell the OP that you have spent your hard earned cash on buying certificates at £9.25 each and do not intend to put them on Ancestry so people like the OP can get the information for nothing.

That's what a selfish attitude looks like, PharmaT.

Is that you? No

Maybe it's not but PharmaT was feeling threatened and in a case like that the only response is to show you are not threatened and tell the other person why you do not intend to scan the certificates you have bought, so that they can be put on Ancestry for others to see for nothing - and if many of the trees on Ancestry are anything to go by they will be used wrongly.

The problem is that programmes like WDYTYA, plus the adverts for Ancestry give the impression that all you have to do is go to Ancestry website and everything is just set out there for you.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 09 October 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Pharma T, in which Facebook group did this conversation take place? 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 09 October 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Re-reading the original post, it seems that the “argument” started over someone asking why people wouldn’t get certificates. That’s something we get quite a bit on here, people asking for look ups because they don’t want to, or can’t afford to get certificates. So my guess, as has been stated several times, that it is the same with the OP on FB, they want to complete their tree as cheaply as possible by using information posted by others.

It seems Pharma, that you are actually adding sources to your tree, but not in the form they want ie one they can download. If you put a on reference that you understand eg as a comment “see death certificate and burial record from NBI” that is good enough. That shows the records are available and tells anyone else where to look, if they can be bothered!

As a couple of people have asked, what is the FB page where this happened? Maybe the OP poster there needs a few Rootschatters to chip in!

In the end, ask yourself, who would you rather listen to and take advice from, those of us on a dedicated site such as RC or someone on a FB page who is obviously out to complete their tree as quickly and cheaply as possible by using other people’s trees,  rather than do all the research themselves. No choice in my opinion.

Continue to your tree as YOU want to and ignore others.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
I have my tree on ancestry, mainly to have an "off site" backup for my tree.  I have not scanned in my sources, just put i a reference in the comments.  I guess it is just laziness re scanning but I have so much to work on and I was researching for about 11 years before I put anything on ancestry so scanning is not my priority.  .

I have now been involved in a discussion on a genealogy group on FB where someone was asking why someone wouldn't have the certificates.  A few of us commented saying they may do but haven't scanned them in and I explained how I worked with my certificates.  The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.  I really can't face the mountain of scanning that would be involved but now I feel really bad and anxious.  I don't want to spoil another person's hobby and definitely don't want to ruin a website.  Should I delete my trees and my account to tidy it up? what then is the best, and cheapest way to have an offsite backup?
I'm absolutely "gobsmacked" for want of a better word of it. Who are these idiots
I mean people?
Please ignore them ! It seems to me they want people like yourself to upload all of their certs so they don't have to buy them themselves .
It's your tree, you do want you want  with it!
I'd be damned if I scanned and uploaded my certs just to please these people's demands.Tell them to bugger off and point them  to the GRO, cheeky gits.
Kind Regards  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Just to join in again, Pharma T, I can see that you are probably unwilling to engage in an argument with whoever it is on this FB page who is telling you that you are "spoiling it" for others.

This is what I meant when I posted that you can always say to someone "we will have to agree to disagree".

That leaves it on the happiest footing on both sides, surely, and you won't be seen as challenging or argumentative or upsetting anyone.

Unless you'd like a Rootschatter to assist you to point out to this FB poster that everyone here - long-term researchers, mostly - completely agree with you.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 09 October 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Maybe you should ask the OP to point you in the direction of the certificates they have on Ancestry. 

I think we can all guess the response. 

Or maybe, as suggested by IgorStrav, you may prefer another RC'er to ask them for you.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex