Author Topic: Is Harris my geat-grandfather's real surname?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Harris my geat-grandfather's real surname?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
If it's the same prison record that I'm looking at, that James Harris was only 19.

James Harris
Age   19
Birth year   1872
Occupation   Hawker
Year   1891
Date   30 Jun 1891
Court   Town Hall Cardiff
Place   Glamorgan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiffany84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi groom, thanks for the reply!  The record I have does not give any age.   It says :
James Harris otherwise called Samuel White- attempting to steal from the person. Before convicted of felony 2 indicments.  convicted to 4 months .  It is taken from the England and Wales criminal Registers 1791-1892   Wales Glamorgan.  It also says Midsummer Quarter Sessions at Cardiff 30th day of June.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Unless there were two James Harris tried on that day, it looks like the same person so probably too young to be yours.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiffany84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!  I am beginning to think I have met a dead end.  I cannot find him before the 1891 census. Also, although I accept the 1891 census says 'James I only know him as 'Thomas' and his origin as Honiton.  It may be that he changed either his name or where he was born (or both) on the census documents after 1891.  Or I am just not locating the right documents!
It is a mystery whether she left Samuel Waite and fled to Manchester where she met My Great-grandfather or if she fled to Manchester with him (and this could then have prompted a change of name)  However, either way it looks as if she was pregnant as she named her child born in Manchester Waite.
Thanks for letting me know re the age difference.  As I say my source isn't showing any age.  You have to admit though there are quite a few coincidences.
Of course, it still could be him, I suppose. Her sister Elizabeth was married to an Edwin Harris who lived in Monmouthshire.  He has a younger brother Thomas who is 10 years younger than Emily. It may be that she left Samuel Waite with someone like this, who was her junior in years.  As I said in my long previous post my mind goes round and round all the possibilities!   Thanks again

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Interestingly the Samuel Fred Waite born Neath, Glamorgan 1858, living in Caldicott, Chepstow in 1881 with father Matthew and mother Eliza that you found, doesn't appear after 1881, either dead or alive, that I can see.

Jan

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
There is a burial on 1 Oct 1910 at Llanfihangel Llantarnam of a Samuel Frederick Waite aged 56 of 43 Llandowlais Street.   This would put his birth at c 1854, but I cant seem to find a birth that would match other than 'your' Samuel in 1858 and an earlier one in 1846.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
If that is Tiffany's Samuel, which seems likely, I wonder where is he is hiding in 1891 and 1901 ???
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hmm, I'm not sure if it is him though. 

Living at the address in 1911 is another Samuel Waite, who appears to be Samuel Josiah Waite baptised 30 Jan 1877, s/o Samuel & Ann of Tintern Abbey, Wiredrawer.

The GRO suggests Ann's maiden name was Stuart, and a Samuel Waite aged 26 married Ann Stuart at Attercliffe, Yorkshire in 1874.  This would put his DoB at around 1848, so most likely the 'other' one. 

The fact that he died at the same address as Samuel Josiah suggests the burial is the older Samuel Frederick, but the age is obviously a long way out  :-\

Added:  Slight amendment - in 1911 Samuel Josiah (b 1877) is at a different house number than the 1910 burial.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Tiffany84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Janan and Jomot
There is a record for a Fred Waite for 1891 showing him as a boarder but it is strange that the Samuel should be dropped.  He is shown as born Llantrisant in 1859 so this may be him.  However, I agree that can't find Samuel F. after 1881.   
Re death.  When Emily's daughter Annie marries in Prestolee England in 1906 the marriage details show father as Samuel F Waite deceased.  This may be accurate or may be just what she had been told.  If this is accurate then it suggests the 1910 death is another person.  So grateful for your input.  This is really complicated!   Tif