Author Topic: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?  (Read 6538 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 13 October 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but if I was shown these photos out of context, they strike me as being a bit later than 1924. This is definitely a 1920's style house, so in 1924 it would have been pretty much brand new. It looks to me like its much more established than a new property......just saying....

I agree. Also Alwyn Cock was apparently born in 1908 so would only have been 16 in 1924. He looks older in the photograph.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
I wasn't suggesting that the building was on South Terrace.The data simply reinforces the identity of the Hunter family concerned.
The head of the Hunter family in 1911 at South Terrace is Mary Williamson Hunter(nee Gooding),wife of Ellis Hunter and therefore mother of JEL Hunter as per the biography linked by Rosie99.

Regards
Roger

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
The head of the Hunter family in 1911 at South Terrace is Mary Williamson Hunter(nee Gooding),wife of Ellis Hunter and therefore mother of JEL Hunter as per the biography linked by Rosie99.

So we can eliminate them as seemex has decided they are the wrong family. 

I wonder if we are following a complete red herring with the suggestion that the house is in Littlehampton?

Seemex, are you certain that the girls are the family you are following? I presume they were sent back to England to go to school, when was that, do you know? Where were relatives of the family living in England then as the chances are they stopped with them in holidays?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
I've been re-looking at the photo of the family in the garden. At the extreeme left, there is a view of the opposite house, which has quite a few steps going up to the front door. I'm sure there are some like that at the southern end of St Catherines Road - near the block of flats ~

(Not sure if anyone has notcied this before - if so, sorry  :-\  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
If that's right Gadget, and I'm sure given your expertise on looking at photos that it is, to my mind that gives us two more clues:

1. There are houses opposite, not the green area.

2. If there are steps going up to that house, could it mean the land is higher i.e a slight hill?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
I used to be able to link to a Street View but can't find the button now  ::) ???

Anyway, have a look at 21 St C in Street View - very similar houses to the one I've clipped. Maybe those to the south were  deolished and rebuilt or the road was renumbered at some stage.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
 No 8's on the opposite side of road to 21 - corner site with Irvine Road

Doesn't look like the original front but the backs look similar - chimney, etc. You can get a wee look if you pop around the corner and look back!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Could be another red herring,but I think the Jack L Hunter who dies in Shanghai in 1945
(born 1886) marries ,circa 1925,a Helen M Wrigley,born c.1895 Bromley,Kent.
There appears to be quite a number of properties(as well as people) called Hazeldene in Bromley.
I'll see what I can find further,but,as Captain Oates is reported to have said as he left the tent..I may be some while..

Regards
Roger

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 13 October 17 22:08 BST (UK) »

So we can eliminate them as seemex has decided they are the wrong family. 

I wonder if we are following a complete red herring with the suggestion that the house is in Littlehampton?

Seemex, are you certain that the girls are the family you are following? I presume they were sent back to England to go to school, when was that, do you know? Where were relatives of the family living in England then as the chances are they stopped with them in holidays?

First, the Littlehampton very well could be wrong as we've now eliminated that other Hunter family as being related.
As to the girls...I'm sure of them. They are my mother and her sister and Alwyn is their cousin. My Mother was born in 1911 and her sister in 1912, both in Hong Kong. They were sent to school in England from 1924 until 1928. The school was in Bournemouth, and they spent time with friends in and around that part of the country. They also spent time in Torquay on holidays.
Alwyn was born in 1908 in Shanghai and was also attending school. Two of his younger sisters also went to school with my mother in Bournemouth. I believe the Cock family ( Alwyn's parents ) also maintained a home or rented a home in England for some of that period.
In the house photo the girls appear younger than when they finished school in 1928 years later. I also have a couple of photos of a group that was taken in the same back yard and my grandmother was there. The only time they were all there together was in 1924 when she and my grandfather accompanied the girls to England to begin school. My dates are based on those facts.
In light of what has been discovered I think its maybe more likely that the house in the picture would be in the Bournemouth or Torquay areas and that the clipping threw me off.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley