Author Topic: Beattie - NSW, Australia  (Read 2759 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie - NSW, Australia
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 October 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
Back  :)

Hope you weren't holding your breath  :)

A further question .... Rhetorical, so it is for you to ponder ... no answer needed for the forum as it is easily found via google search etc, without any need to sign in.

Who needed (rather than wanted) and why was the certificate required in 1989 ...

Anyway, I have had a return phone call from my rellie (ex senior staff at NSW BDM, retired)...

YES, there were certs issued with 'blanks' just like that.   Not too many, and the practice was eventually altered, as it was not achieving the expected outcome.

Illegitimacy and Spinsterhood were two matters that were 'banned' back in the 1970s due to the mis-conception of many in the community who attached stigmas to persons whose documentation pointed out that a person was illegitimate or that a person's mum was a spinster at the time of his/her birth.     It would be unusual in 1989 for anyone to actually NEED such a birth certificate, particularly as the baby had grown up, married and died under a different surname.   It is likely that an earlier certified copy had been obtained back in 1977, perhaps for a returned serviceman's pension claim.  It would NOT have had blanked out info. 

'Everyone' became aware that those blanks covered up two words, and so the purpose of blanking out the two words (illegitimate and spinster) was lost. 

You can confirm this easily by waiting until the historic registration is no longer restricted.   It is restricted simply because it is less than 100 years since the birth.   :)   So wait until June 2018 and order official transcription.  :)

The endorsement points to a likely informal fostering arrangement.  :)  perhaps arranged via Scaba House.   

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline davonz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 October 17 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hope you weren't holding your breath  :)

Who needed (rather than wanted) and why was the certificate required in 1989 ...

Illegitimacy and Spinsterhood

The endorsement points to a likely informal fostering arrangement.  :)  perhaps arranged via Scaba House.   

JM

Thanks for the info.

No, wasn't holding my breath. I have been looking for this stuff for years on and off.

Mum said she ordered it, just to find out what was on it. Her and her sister had found something in Thomas's belongings which said his name was Thomas Brain Beattie.

I would love to know why she had changed her name to Nellie Eva Beattie. Theresa was 28 years old when she had Thomas, so would she have cared about being a single mum and any stigma attached to it.
Theresa had told her family she was a widow and her husband was killed in the war. But if it was me, I would have either gone back to mum and dad in grafton or gone to the fathers parents for help. So yeah, maybe she didn't know who the father was, or it was a one nighter.

I guess we will never know. My mum and myself have done DNA test, which is maybe the only hope we have of finding who his father was.

Anyways thanks for all the help....

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 October 17 04:49 BST (UK) »
But if it was me, I would have either gone back to mum and dad in grafton or gone to the fathers parents for help.

When my mother was unmarried and pregnant with my sister in 1953 it was her parents who sent her to a city far from home, to an unmarried mothers' home for the term of the pregnancy. She also knew who the married father was.

Not all parents are accepting of their daughters being pregnant when not married.

Theresa had told her family she was a widow and her husband was killed in the war.

She told which family? Do you have evidence that she told her parents that? Supposition only, but she may have used the name to remain incognito.

Have you considered that Theresa may not be the biological mother of Thomas? Eva as the middle name could be a coincidence.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline davonz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 October 17 06:16 BST (UK) »

Theresa had told her family she was a widow and her husband was killed in the war.

She told which family? Do you have evidence that she told her parents that? Supposition only, but she may have used the name to remain incognito.

Have you considered that Theresa may not be the biological mother of Thomas? Eva as the middle name could be a coincidence.
Jamjar

She told her son (her last living one), and my mum had heard it from other family members and her dad (thomas), thats where I got it from.

Its true that it may not be his biological mother. But Thomas had got the information from somewhere.