Author Topic: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?  (Read 10131 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #72 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note on "Walpole Street" - abode of the Cock family at the time of Albert Edward's baptism in 1875. This is likely to be Walpole Street in Deptford, now renamed Pagnell Street. It's less than half a mile from St James' Church, Hatcham.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #73 on: Friday 17 November 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
The Matabeleland roll for 2nd battalion West Riding Regiment gives an address for Albert Edward Collins: Newlands, Cape Town

Also note that an Albert Collins attested for the Cape Mounted Police in July 1895 (number 3919178). You can get a copy of his attestation papers - see  https://angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/310-cape-mounte

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:01 GMT (UK) »
The Matabeleland roll for 2nd battalion West Riding Regiment gives an address for Albert Edward Collins: Newlands, Cape Town

Also note that an Albert Collins attested for the Cape Mounted Police in July 1895 (number 3919178). You can get a copy of his attestation papers - see  https://angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/310-cape-mounte

Thanks very much for that, Shaun, and for the previous info about Walpole St (I had actually wonderered about that one because the only Walpole St I could find was nowhere near there!).

So at some point he gets domiciled in Cape Town, presumably meets future wife (Martha Carter - still no marriage record found), and also signs up for the Cape Mounted Police - but I don't think could have fought in the Boer War (unless injured and invalided out?), as his first child was born in Feb 1901. Oddly, when I searched on the surname Collins, it returned zero hits, but found him when I used the number you gave. I'll look into getting his attestation papers.

Edit: Do you happen to know the year of that Newlands, Cape Town address?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:28 GMT (UK) »

It's a printed list published in 1896 so presumably prepared in 1895/6.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:38 GMT (UK) »

It's a printed list published in 1896 so presumably prepared in 1895/6.

Ah, thanks. I've sent off a query about the attestation papers and also just found this in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Mounted_Police#Bechuanaland_Campaign
When British Bechuanaland was annexed to the colony in November 1895, it was added to District 2. 106 members of the Bechuanaland Border Police were transferred to the CP.[15]
Bechuanaland Campaign
British Bechuanaland was soon the scene of the CP's first military action. During the 1896-97 rinderpest epidemic, CP District 2 was ordered to ensure that infected livestock were killed. Batswana leaders resisted the order, leading to armed conflict and a lengthy standoff in the Langberg mountains. As the CP did not have the necessary resources, the government mobilised the defence force to end the resistance. Units of CP District 2 were attached to the military Bechuanaland Field Force for the eight-month-long operation.

I have to break now, not sure when I'll get back to it, but this is an interesting lead, so thank you again. :-)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I'm duplicating here............... just in case you've not seen this I thought I'd post

Albert Edward Collins age 33 (born c 1873)
Residence Mowbray
Initiation Date:   5 Sep 1906
passing Oct 3
raising Aprl 1/07
First Payment Year on Register:   1907
Year Range:   1887-1909
Profession:   Police Sergt.
Lodge:   Rondebosch Lodge
Lodge Location:   Rondebosch, South Africa, WD
Lodge Number:   3141
Folio Number:   90

Albert Edward Collins
Initiation Date:   1906
First Payment Year on Register:   1910
Year Range:   1910-1921
Lodge:   Rondebosch Lodge
Lodge Location:   Rondebosch, South Africa, WD
Lodge Number:   3141
Folio Number:   146
Excluded 31.12.13
details from England, United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921 on Anc*y

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh, no - that's new too, thanks Ladyhawk! So he was a Freemason. So it's true what they say about coppers and Freemasons, eh?! 🙂

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Albert Edward Cock born 5th October 1871

Just by way of confirmation that we have the right man - "Cornish Immigrants to South Africa" records the same birth date for Albert Edward Cock-Collins https://goo.gl/3sGj9w

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 19 November 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Just by way of confirmation that we have the right man - "Cornish Immigrants to South Africa" records the same birth date for Albert Edward Cock-Collins https://goo.gl/3sGj9w

Ah - excellent - another good find, thanks, Shaun! (I think the forum could do with a Like button so I don't have to keep bumping the thread when I want to thank people.)

Ladyhawk, did that Freemasons entry turn up on the usual search on An**try, or did you need to go digging? I'm just curious. I must go and check out my library's version again and see what that provides. I know that when I last consulted it (ages ago), it didn't give me what I was looking for; can't remember what it was though. Perhaps it's just the Australian version.