Author Topic: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?  (Read 10129 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 19 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »

Ladyhawk, did that Freemasons entry turn up on the usual search on An**try, or did you need to go digging?

I'm just curious.

Using UK Anc*y  search
First & middle names:-  Albert Edward
surname:-  Collins
Place your ancestor might have lived: South Africa
clicked search

First two entries at top of page were for England, United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see - thanks, Ladyhawk.

I am still eagerly awaiting the marriage certificate I ordered from GRO, but in the meantime started looking at another branch of Cock-Collinses I'm unfamiliar with, a more recent one.

Two of the sons of Albert Edward C-C were Albert Claud and Leslie William, and it is particularly Albert Claud that I'm interested in because according to records someone has built, there were 2 daughters of that marriage (none for Leslie). (I have heaps on other brothers. I have heaps on Cecil, and someone else has provided the basics for Edward, who died aged 21.)

I have found some header records of comings and goings on ships between Cape Town and Southampton in 1939, 1950, 1955 and some undated. Albert's wife was Nicoline, and Leslie's was Johanna. In one of the records there is a daughter travelling with Nicoline - my notes say "Pretoria Castle, sailing Southampton to Cape Town on 8th November 1955. Nicoline is aged 47, born 3rd July 1908, housewife, and daughter is 15, born 2nd August 1940, no occupation. (No record found for Albert.)"

Albert C and Nicoline both died in Cape Town; not sure about Leslie but I think they probably all lived in South Africa.

I don't really need all of the details of their travels, but if anyone else can dig up a reference to a daughter with a name, that would be great.

I also spotted a "Mr P.W. Cock-Collins" on the Anc**try passenger list - no idea who he is; perhaps a mistranscription for L.W.?

Edit: Also, ignore Lucy Magdalene and another other C-Cs - it's only really those two brothers' families that I'm concerned with here.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I also spotted a "Mr P.W. Cock-Collins" on the Anc**try passenger list - no idea who he is; perhaps a mistranscription for L.W.?

Yes that is L W
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »

I have found some header records of comings and goings on ships between Cape Town and Southampton in 1939, 1950, 1955 and some undated.

Albert's wife was Nicoline. In one of the records there is a daughter travelling with Nicoline - my notes say "Pretoria Castle

Nicoline is aged 47, born 3rd July 1908, housewife, and daughter is 15, born 2nd August 1940, no occupation. (No record found for Albert.)"

Albert C and Nicoline both died in Cape Town

I don't really need all of the details of their travels, but if anyone else can dig up a reference to a daughter with a name, that would be great.

Sorry haven't come up with a christian name but you are right 1955 sailing and ship name

Is it possible she is a twin as Miss Cock Collins is listed twice with same dob?

1955 Outward Passenger List
address in UK 34 Sussex Gdns W.2
Cock Collins   Mr A born    7/2/07 occ Railway
Ditto             Mrs             3/7/08
Ditto             Miss            2/8/40
Ditto             Miss            2/8/40

For info they married in 1937 Rondebosh, Peddie Cape Province SA
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-61PN-ZP?i=269&cc=1392488

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Ah, great - thanks Shaun and Ladyhawk.

Yes, it's certainly possible that the daughters were/are twins - good to have those dates. Just no trace of them anywhere else! There's a suggestion that their names are Alison and Elizabeth, but no corroboration.

I found that marriage record (which is actually incorrect insofar as situating it in a place called Peddie - Rondebosch is actually a suburb of Cape Town, not far from the suburb of residence, Newlands) too, thanks.

It's quite likely that this as far as I'll get, with relatively recent people, who may still be alive, and it's not that important.

Edit: I also found that someone had added a record for the husband of Elizabeth, a Mark Annandale (no other details) - but no luck searching on that surname either. I won't bother pursuing that branch any more.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that we've covered this one yet? :-\
Does anyone have any further details on a passenger record, leaving UK in 1904, for the Cape, for Collins, AE,  DOB 1872?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 27 November 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
A E Collins and his family were passengers on the Dunluce Castle departed Southampton for South Africa on 15 October 1904. He was in the Cape Police. With him were Mrs Collins aged 28, and 3 female children respectively aged 2, 1 and less than 1 year. To land at Cape Town.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 27 November 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh, fantastic, thanks Shaun.  :) They got the sex of the children wrong (should be all boys), but that's our Albert returning after the birth of Cecil in West Ham.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 27 November 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Just linking to the 1915 death notice. I think you have the information already https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-95DR-SHJB?i=68&cc=1779109