Author Topic: Jemina Ramsey Carnegie birth or census 1901  (Read 1273 times)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jemina Ramsey Carnegie birth or census 1901
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am helping a gentleman try to sort out a bit of family mystery. His grandmother, Jemina Ramsey Carnegie, was apparently born in Dundee, Scotland in about 1900. Her mother's first name is Leith, last name unknown - her father's first name unknown, last name Ramsey (all hearsay). There was also another child born to this marriage but no information about gender or age is known. At some time the marriage ended (family hearsay has that it was annulled by the Ramsey family) or the father died. Leith remarried to a Carnegie and sent her two children from her first marriage to live in Canada with Carnegie relatives.

Is it possible to find the family of Jemina Ramsey in the 1901 census? Any marriage information for Leith ?? to a ?? Ramsey or ?? Carnegie? Any birth information for Jemina Ramsey?

In Canada she was apparently known as Jemina Ramsey Carnegie and she died in Montana, USA in 1932.

Any help is appreciate and if anyone needs help in Canada (particularly Alberta) let me know,

Thanks

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jemina Ramsey Carnegie birth or census 1901
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma
Not much help - but I searched for any female with a first name "Leith" in Scotland Census 1881 - there were none at all.
I then searched for a first name which included "Leith" and found a number of females (Jemina's mother may have already been  born by 1881): I've picked out the unmarried younger ones:

Maggie Ann Leith WATSON age 8 born Gamrie, Banff,
Mary Leith LUMSDEN age 14 born Midmar, Aberdeen
Mary Leith LESLIE age 11 born Dundee, Forfar (rest of her large family Aberdeen born though)
Georgina Leith HORNE age 16   born Migvie, Aberdeen, Scotland
Rachel Leith COOK age  1 born Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
Jane Leith BEATSON    age 17  Culsamond, Aberdeen, Scotland
Catharine Y.Leith CRAW age 3 born Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Susan Leith MC CONNACHIEage 6  born Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland

Hopefully you can find Jemina in C1901 - which you can do by accessing the pay-site: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Good Luck
Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)