Author Topic: Pollard family help please Accrington  (Read 6894 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard family help please Accrington
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Taken from the Accrington pals website

POLLARD, Pte. John, 15824 (11th Bn., East Lancs. Regt.); lived at 8 Ormerod Street or 78 Royd Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 1st July 1916; comm. Thiepval Memorial.

Could his service number & address been changed at some point?

Mary :)

As per
Keyboard
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Willyam -- the John Richard Pollard you found in World War 1 Records - isn't the correct one (the one which has service number 214263). The other 2 records you found (ie the Militia then the East Lancs both in 1897) --- ARE him though.

The WW1 one you found has a wife Mary A (nee Haworth actually) and came from Rossendale).

The correct John Richard Durbin (and whatever else!) Pollard - married Hannah Kemble in 1914 at Hyndburn Register Office ar at a Registrar attended marriage (Lancs BMD).

I cannot see an immediate service record for him in WW1 -- although it doesn't mean that he didn't serve of course.

He seems to have obtained his medals in the Boer War -- according to the Forces War Record Site -- unless Nathan -- you also have a WW1 medal for him.

What caught my eye was that the date of birth for 214263 John Richard Pollard was 1 December 1878.

Also, he is in the 1939 Register.

Willyam

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the Jane above in 1881 b Church is married in 1861 to a Reuben Pollard 32 with an Alice A Pollard aged 3 b Accrington
Census ref RG09/3062/128/78
The daughters in 1861 Catherine b c 1855  and Alice A b c 1858 have mmn Broderick

EDIT would love to know about the John who was killed in action 1916 mother Jane?

Going potty searching for the mother of John Richard Durbin Pollard, will give others a chance, believe as above her mother was Jane Broderick/Brodrick the daughter of George & Ann Broderick , daughter Alice Ann Pollard named after the sister of Jane
Why in 1871 is this family headed by a Richard Pollard confusing me?
Census ref RG10/4442/94/16
Keyboard86

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Willyam -- yes that Rossendale one is a nuisance. But the correct John Richard should have been born about March 1879.

I haven't checked this correspondence back - but I think his birth was found.
Re the 1939 -- I cannot see the correct one on that register actually, although I did see the Rossendale one.

Keyboard -- yes --- the one who was killed in action is on the Commonwealth War Graves site -- but apart from his grave site and date of death there is no other information.

The correct one has been confusing enough - think I may ignore these other 2!!

I've only just come back on line this evening, so haven't had time to look at the backwards research you have done (you may have to carry on going potty for a while!!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Think I may just have found him in 1939.

John Richard Pollard and his wife Hannah Kemble MAY only have had one child -- a daughter Marion in 1915 in Accrington.

In 1939 -- a Marion Pollard (with name then changed to Jackson when she married) is with a John R Pollard - whose birth date is recorded as 4th March 1877 (but I think this should be 1879).

It looks like Marion married later that same year. Details are on Lancs BMD.

Address 139 Wellington St Accy. John is working at the Calico Print works (where many, many Accringtonians worked). He is shown as married but his wife is not present.

Nathan ---- John Richard's daughter, Marion MAY have had children and if so they would no doubt be interested in seeing his medals. You will be able to check if she and her husband did have children by checking Lancs BMD for births after 1939.

Just input the married surname only and also show HER maiden surname in the appropriate search field. (This is dependant on the couple having remained in Lancashire of course - also Marion's husband may have been away in WW2 following their marriage).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline nsledden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 October 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting guys and your efforts are greatly appreciated , is there any way of tracking back to establish whom john Richard pollards parents where ect or did he have any siblings ect

Thanks all again
Nathan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 26 October 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
:) That looks like the family in 1881 with a John Richard C DURBIN aged 4 b Accrington?
Census Ref RG11/4141/95/43
Keyboard86

Hi have you viewed this census at all?
Keyboard86

Wait a minute, are we now trying to locate the parents of a John Pollard b 1879?

The one above has mother Alice Ann and sister Emily Durbin?

Offline nsledden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 27 October 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
:) That looks like the family in 1881 with a John Richard C DURBIN aged 4 b Accrington?
Census Ref RG11/4141/95/43
Keyboard86

Hi have you viewed this census at all?
Keyboard86

Wait a minute, are we now trying to locate the parents of a John Pollard b 1879?

The one above has mother Alice Ann and sister Emily Durbin?
if it was at all possible to locate his parents that's would be brilliant and interesting , way beyond my abilities though , so any help greatly appreciated :)

All the best nathan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 27 October 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Alice married John 9/12/1878 aged 21 , so John Pollard was born before they were married, but his fathers names were shown when he was registered.

Jennifer

These are his parents?
Keyboard86