Author Topic: Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson  (Read 5002 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 December 19 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry my MacIntyre Paterson combined family was later and in Campbell town Argyll
Widow MacIntyre living with  5 children and a lodger : Dougald Paterson. Her husband had died 8 years before and the last 2 children were acknowledged as father Paterson on baptism records and army ..the 7 year old is in doubt and I have family records which name a third man ....DNA may provide proof in future .
The mother's own father had worked abroad and had another family as did his abandoned wife .these children go by various spellings of her maiden name her official husband's name and occasionally the birth father .The eldest was said to be adopted because early in the marriage the couple kept losing babies due to "blood incompatibility " so it's possible none of the surviving children were actually from the legitimate marriage .If your lot are similar it may be easier to search for them by first names ! Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 December 19 01:32 GMT (UK) »
HI Rosie.  I've just been working through your thoughts.  I found Elizabeth in the 1871 census under the name of ELIZABETH McINTYRE (no Paterson).  I have since found the censuses in 1891 and 1901 you referred to.  I haven't found her in 1881.  On the 1911 census, her father Thomas and one of her brothers is present.  Thomas was now widowed from Margaret Patton (reference 1901 census).

I have her marriage certificate and she has no occupation.  Her address at marriage is 6 Laird Street.

Re her father's occupation - he was a sugarhouse labourer.  It looks like they came direct to Greenock from Ireland and stayed there.  Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson was born in Greenock and the parents' names are correct.  I have a copy of their marriage record.  I might have found an explanation for her mother's ms being given as Black on her marriage certificate, though.

I found a death certificate for Ann Singleton (ms Blaikley) who had been widowed twice - husband no 1 was John Black and husband no 2 was Thomas Singleton.  I think that this Ann is Elizabeth Singleton's mother.  Her son, John Black, who registered her death, was born in Ireland and he could have been known as Elizabeth's half-brother, hence the confusion with the surname.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 December 19 01:59 GMT (UK) »
The witnesses at the marriage of Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson and John Stewart are Peter Anderson and Mary McNeill.  The 1881 census for Lizzie Paterson shows she was born in Paisley, but I have the BC and she was born in Greenock. 

Re reference to Mary Ann.  She is my direct ancestor so the record is correct.  I've checked the marriage cert of Joseph Bustin, but his wife is not the sister of Thomas Paterson.

In my last post I made a reference to John Black.  He was actually John Singleton Black.  He was born after his father's demise.  The middle name gives some credence to my belief that Ann formed a relationship with Thomas Singleton. 

Thanks heaps everyone for your thoughts on this one.  I have filled in some gaps and raised more questions (isn't it always the way!).

To sugarbakers.  We have communicated in the past.  I'm a Greenock girl now living in Australia and so very many of my relations/ancestors were labourers in the refinery - most recently my b-i-l and my grandfather (both in Walkers).

Sheena

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 December 19 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena with reference to the 1881 census for Lizzie Paterson it's still a possibility  what was her occupation on her marriage certificate ?

Rosie

Added just read the post again and seen there was no occupation for Elizabeth on her marriage certificate  :(

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 December 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
HI everyone.  I'm picking up the pieces again after a year and I've been re-reading your comments.  I've found a Greenock death certificate for an Ann Singleton, ms Blaikley, 1880 ae 60.  Widow of (1) John Black and (2) Thomas Singleton.  This might explain why Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson has her mother listed with the surname Black on her marriage and death certificate.  Ann died at 19 Sir Michael Street, and the death was registered by her son John Black, 27 Sugarhouse Lane. I suppose it's possible that this Ann is the mother of Elizabeth Singleton, but I don't have much to go on.  Although I've found John Black on a number of census records, I don't have enough to identify him, and I haven't found Ann on any census for Greenock.  Any thought?
Regards Sheena
(I promise I won't pack my FH away for another year)

Have you checked the marriage for John Singleton Black
31/12/1869 Greenock
Spouse Sarah Fyfe
On SP 1870

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 December 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, his marriage confirms that his mother is Ann Blaikley and John Black.  I can't confirm who he is on census records, or haven't so far.  i'd to find the death of Thomas Singleton but haven't thus far.

Sheena

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 December 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
This looks like John Black on the 1871 census address 31,Charles Street Greenock age 38 Labourer born Ireland
Sarah Black age 38 born Greenock
John Black age 8 born Ireland
Sarah Black 7 months

1881census address 21 Sir Michael Street  Greenock
John Black age 45 born Armagh Ireland occupation sugarhouse labourer
Sarah Black age 40 born Greenock
Sarah Black age 4 born Greenock ( This is the second Sarah )
Annie Black age 2 born Greenock
Thomas Black age 6 months born Greenock

Thomas and Ann Black are in Industrial School in Greenock on the 1891 census

There is a possible 2 deaths in Greenock for John Black between 1881 =1891

Thomas Black is back with his mother Sarah on the 1901 Census

Rosie

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie.  It's always exciting to be reminded how much can be discovered from so long ago

Sheena

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Blimey.  When I wanted to have a look at the 1881 census for John and Sarah Black, I discovered I'd already purchased to view this document.  I had, but I'd done so to see the census records of Thomas and Elizabeth Patterson - they lived up the next close.  The Blacks are in 21 Sir Michael and the Pattersons are in 19.  Given that I believe that Elizabeth's mother is also the mother of John Black, this just adds to the story.