Author Topic: Castleblaney Blacksmiths  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Ripples

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Castleblaney Blacksmiths
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 03:08 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information of Castleblaney Blacksmiths (as in occupation/trade of Blacksmith).

I understand there was a Blacksmith forge in 'Skinners Lane' in the vicinity of West St, after 1810. Can anyone clarify an owner or tenant by the name of James Hughes (married Margaret McShane from Drumacon) post 1810.

Many thanks   
HUGHES; FRANCIS > Australia on 'Ayrshire' 1841
Parents (of above)
James Hughes (Castleblaney) - b.circa 1789 d.20 April, 1869 in Cullyhanna, Co. Amagh. Occupation - Blacksmith
&
Margaret McShane (Drumacon) - b.circa 1795 d.18 May 1875 in Clonalig
Brother of:
George > Australia on 'Coldstream' 1862
? Bridget Rooney (present at mothers death)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Castleblaney Blacksmiths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 07 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ripples,

Your first move is to email to the Library in Co. Monaghan as there are at least two post 1810 directories that include Castleblayney. I'll see if the Central Library in Belfast has these directories. If they have I'll have a look to see if the forge of James Huges of Skinners Lane is mentioned. This search could be done by any Irish member who lives near to and visits a county library headquarters.

Slater's Commercial Directory of Ireland 1846
Pigot's Provincial Directory of Ireland 1824 for ULSTER (includes entries for this county)

I've already looked at Castleblaney in the 1852 Directory which does not mention a blacksmith by the name of Hughes nor does it mention Skinners Lane.

Chris