Author Topic: Why is Roman crossed out on Civil Record?  (Read 5048 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Roman crossed out on Civil Record?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 March 23 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Found his obit
He died in 1943
Ordained in 1893 he was Diocesan Examiner and later curate at St.Jame's, Dublin and Goldenbridge. He was chaplain at Kilmainham during the 1916 Rising. He was later appointed PP at Garristown and eleven years ago he was appointed to St. Audoen's.

Yet again it just says Goldenbridge, I think it has to be the church attached to the convent or the Christian Brother's school.

Congratulations on tracking him down..

But neither of those locations would ordinarily be used for celebrating weddings. They are private chapels, not normal public places of worship.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 24 March 23 10:49 GMT (UK) »
People still don't seem to get it.

The use of "Roman Catholic" was British imposed, as they were of the view that the CofE was "Catholic", and hence was a "Catholic Church".

Internally, the Catholic Church is simply the Catholic Church, and many clergy resented the English imposition of "Roman Catholic".

Not entirely.  Not really about the 'hated English' per se.  Perhaps about any protestant religion

You might wish to edit your post. Did your grandparents really have a same-sex marriage at such an early date?  :o

I don't think it was the "hated English", so much as a Protestant church and country imposing a name on their own (Catholic) church, a name not of their choosing. [Though the two concepts admittedly overlapped].

While there were many aspects, the determinative one was probably the legal one. For many years if you left a bequest to, say, the "Catholic Church" it wasn't going to go to who you thought it was going to go. It would go to the established church instead. Likewise, British official documents, army, navy, etc. all insisted on the use of "Roman Catholic".  And GRO documents too - which is how we got into this discussion.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 24 March 23 14:20 GMT (UK) »

But neither of those locations would ordinarily be used for celebrating weddings. They are private chapels, not normal public places of worship.
We were saying that earlier, they would be very odd places to get married.

Searching the papers again, it appears Golden Bridge Church was part of St. James' Parish, which makes sense and there was a funeral in 1921 which calls it Golden Bridge Church Inchicore, perhaps we need to expand the search of the map a bit.

There is even a photo of a girl in 2004 at her recent graduation at Goldenbridge Church. I don't know how she found the place.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 March 23 14:33 GMT (UK) »
There are newspaper snippets of funerals which mention Goldenbridge R C Church/chapel and a couple of marriages also. I checked the marriages and they are as we have already found.

Your mention of St James reminded me that I read that St Michael’s Inchicore was the Garrison church for Richmond Barracks and later part of St James’ parish.(I think).

Fr O’Ryan is mentioned as CC (curate) of Goldenbridge and P P (parish priest in newspaper articles).

Also the church and clergy I posted earlier in the census, Tyrconnel Road , that I thought might be St Michael’s, were O M I fathers.

Would the archives or Diocesan archives be able to help clarify?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 March 23 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I meant to add that as he lived in the presbytery, perhaps Fr O’Ryan was chaplain to the convent etc and, if as you say, the chapel wasn’t used for public ceremonies, he held a parish role elsewhere.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 24 March 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a play called History part of the Ireland Trilogy and one of the places featured in it is Goldenbridge Church which it says was one of the laundries
https://yanawritesabouttheatre.wordpress.com/tag/gemma-collins/

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 24 March 23 14:58 GMT (UK) »
From this article, https://maynoothgeography.wordpress.com/2022/03/18/sjd8-3-the-urban-palimpsest-of-new-kilmainham-1911/

“ On this basis, the nuns set up their own (primary Catholic) National Schools one for girls in 1858, and a little later one for boys. On St Vincent Street, the Christian Brothers set up a school for older boys in 1880s. By the convent, a chapel for the community is also shown, as early as the St Jude’s parish map of 1864. At the southern end of St Vincent Street was the presbytery for the priest attached to this chapel.”

There may not have been a hard and fast rule that the wider community could not use the chapel.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 24 March 23 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The girl who had her graduation in 2004 at Goldenbridge church attended the Inchicore Institute of Further Education, which has a theatre in the former Convent and church.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-30124054.html
This is I believe The Goldenbridge Intergrated Complex

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 24 March 23 23:19 GMT (UK) »
You might wish to edit your post. Did your grandparents really have a same-sex marriage at such an early date?  :o

ha ha Wexflyer. have modified it.

Thanks, yes they were modern with mixed marriages and intermarriage with Maori but perhaps not that modern. 

I also understand the importance of making one's point in whatever way you could. 

My mother was very fierce on the theology of only one baptism needed into, not so RC/Ang in her day but any baptism and other churches who tried to demand it.