Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, James.

Where were they in the 1841 and 1851 census? I have Henry in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses, but not the earlier ones.

I know you said that Henry wasn't with his parents in the 1841 but if I knew where they were it might help to find him.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dr Rocks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
I found Alsey Turner (I assume this is William Alsey Turner) living with his father William Turner, mother Mary Turner and (I assume) grandmother Mary Alsey at Middlesex, Stepney, Mile End Old Town Lower, District 13 on the 1841 census. It says Alsey was born in the same county but I assume this was a typo.
I then found William A Turner living with his mother (widowed, so father was dead by then) and his brother Henry at Surrey, Lambeth, Lambeth Church First 28 (Hercules buildings) in the 1851 census. William A is shown as a clerk in the wine trade and Henry as a clerk stockbroker. William A is shown as being born in Bolton and Henry in Manchester which ties in. Also I know William Alsey Turner went to South Africa a year or two later (wine-trade related?) and met his wife there.
James

Offline searchingforanswers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
Google Books has Renruth digitised, it can be read online for free :)

There's a positive review featured in the Kent & Sussex Courier (March 1877):
It is apparently by a new writer. The Author lays no claim to having written it with any other intention than simply to amuse, but whether consciously or unconsciously, where a man has teaching in him, it must come out, and we see this here, not only in the implied rebukes to those who encourage the modern passion for speculation which run through the book, but in more direct and more explicit language.

Near the close of Chapter VIII we have a conversation reminding us pleasantly of Arthur Helps's "Friends in Council." Philip Vaughan gives Harry Renruth his ideas on Monotone —or, as we should say in ordinary talk, monotony, and in those few pages Mr Turner shows not only that he has grasped a truth, but the great facility he has in choosing apt illustrations for enforcing it. The second test is that the characters, &c., should be drawn from experience (except in the instances we have noted where the imagination only is brought into play).
The novel under review answers this fairly well. We can picture to ourselves the character of Skelton, and realize it until we get to his extraordinary metamorphosis in the middle of a death struggle on the pier at Boulogne. We can see Maud, and watch her growing sadness, as though she lived among us. It is entirely natural.

But the description of such places as the Stock Exchange where our Author shows himself most at home. We must find room for one quotation in illustration of his power of concentration into a few lines a great deal of true description, and to show that his sarcasm is neither vulgar nor unjust:

"I am going to the 'Cedars' today till Monday," said Harry. "By the by, as you are on recess today, come with me, and I will show you the interior of the Temple of Mammon, where the real work of this world is done, and were millions are made and lost in a single year—where we do something else but read the Times and lay odds on the forthcoming race."
"Verily," replied Philip, "thou speakest as one devoid of understanding. Dost thou compare thy games of chance, where one man promises to buy what he doesn't want, and never intends to purchase, of another man who hasn't got it to sell, and never will have it, and then both get rid of the whole transaction by one paying the other what is called a difference! No, in our halls (Civil Service) the whole business of the State is transacted, and toiling thousands are occupied from 'morn till dewy eve' in guarding and watching thy interests, and seeing that thou art not defrauded of the value of farthing!"

Among the many pleasant pages in Mr Turner's book, none are more delightful than those where without dragging his reading into prominence, he can't help exhibiting it, and Shakespeare, Byron, Bulwer, and Tennyson are quoted with a natural ease the very opposite of display. It is curious too, to notice the writer's incidental reference to rising men. He can talk not only of a Millais in Art, but he has discovered the genius of Burrel Smith, whose charming watercolors deserve to more widely known.

It will be strange if the modest story of Renruth is not found on many bookshelves—and no one need regret the time spent in reading it.

A Critical Dictionary of English Literature, and British and American Authors, Living and Deceased, Volume 5 - By Samuel Austin Allibone (1892):
Turner, Henry
1. Renruth: a tale. London 1877
2. Grace: a novel. London 1879

Two further titles-

In August 1880, the Jedburgh Gazette acquired publishing rights to Henry's next book - "The Deloraines: A Tale of the Borders", described as a "new and original local tale":
From the ability of the authour, as warmly acknowledged by the London press, from his connection with the Borders, and our perusal of the whole work, we are able to state that this tale will be found to surpass in local interest anything that has hitherto appeared in our fiction columns.
The article ends with a selection of positive press quotes RE: his previous book Grace. The chapters of The Deloraines were published in the Jedburgh Gazette over the following months.

Advert in Reynolds's Newspaper (December 1881):
BOW BELLS ANNUAL FOR 1881-1882
With Numerous engravings by eminent artists, and contributions by the best writers.
My Story by Henry Turner

The newspapers note that Henry takes inspiration from actual people (dead and alive) for his characters. Perhaps you'll find some clues in Renruth :)