Author Topic: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane  (Read 4817 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has the Marriage of Hugh Giles 1789 Launceston
Possible Burial for his Wife 1826 Truro
Hughs Burial 1849 Truro
Both Burials have age,
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh, fantastic - while I was away fixing up and adding to James' and Jane's children's records, a mine of information has arrived! Thanks so much, Trish, Shaun and Annette. That will keep me busy for a while!

But looking at the GRO records for the births of Jane, John Henry and Edwin (who died in 1845, I've found), they are all recorded as being born in Truro Union. This was a  workhouse (although the new building in Truro was only built later, in 1849, apparently - before that, it was at St Clement). But the census records seem to reflect a family with a shop and trade, so why would the children be born in a workhouse?

Another curiosity is that Joseph and Jane are recorded with surnames Leach in the 1841 Census (which had previously led me to believe that they were adopted and changed their names to Cock later) - but now that Jane's birth record records Cock, I can only assume that the 1841 Census was incorrectly recorded.

(I probably won't get back to this until at least tomorrow, Australian time, as it's going to take me a while to create all of the records for the people you have provided.)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I think you'll find that all births registered in Truro from 1837 until circa 1852 come up as "Truro Union" in the GRO online index. That seems to have been the name of Truro Registration District back then.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census Freecen has it wrong on Anc they are all Cock but the image is a bit hard to read.

I have a inkling James Parents were married 10 July 1785, St Mary, Truro
William COCK to Sally KELLA
(Sally being a another name for Sarah)
(FreeREG)

Looking at Familysearch.Org we have;
SALLY KELLOWS Cock christened 9 July 1788 Truro to William/Sally
1st child seems to be JOHN 18 Nov 1785 Truro to William/Sarah (died 31 Oct 1790)

So Sally/Sarah Kellow I would say.

There are lots of children 1785-1805 for them if I have this right!

I agree that Truro Union was a Reg District
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Another curiosity is that Joseph and Jane are recorded with surnames Leach in the 1841 Census

As Trish says, that is just a mistranscription. Always check the original image !

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 02:40 GMT (UK) »
This is fabulous. I have already found lots of supporting info for the (now even more expanded, having found other records!) Giles family via FamilySearch, so have created profiles for them and added all of the various details added in this thread for their and other profiles. Will start work on the Sally Kella/Kellow branch later.

Re the 1841 Census names: - yes, always worth checking the original image! (But at this point I don't have access to that.)

And yes, I see now, about Truro Union. Thanks for that.

Edit: And very nice to have those obits as well - great find!

Found some more on Sally/Sarah (although not sure about the baptism record - couldn't find anything nearer).

GRO death record:
COCK, SALLY 74
GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in TRURO UNION Volume 09 Page 212

The only baptism record found which seems to fit the date (bearing in mind that she must have got married young, and already pregnant, based on birth of first child, marriage and last child):
Day Month 05-Apr; Year 1767
Parish Or Reg District Egloshayle
Forename Sarah
Surname KELLOW
Sex Dau
Father Forename William
Mother Forename Honour
(Also on FamilySearch)
- but Egloshayle is nearly 30 miles from Truro. ??

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Another, separate question.

I have just been trying something I hadn't tried before, looking up street names in FreeCEN, after finding that James' brother Edward was innkeeper on Frances St in 1841 (probably at what is now the Wig & Pen at no. 1 - and remembering that 1 Frances St had turned up on one of the other Cocks' records too, forget which now).

Is there a way to make this work? I could get no hits on Frances or Castle St. Or is there another way of looking up addresses?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Edward was innkeeper on Frances St in 1841 (probably at what is now the Wig & Pen at no. 1

Edward Cock was landlord at The Globe Inn in 1841 (per newspaper reports)

https://i2-prod.cornwalllive.com/news/history/article364144.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/The-Globe-Truro.jpg

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »

Edward Cock was landlord at The Globe Inn in 1841 (per newspaper reports)

Oops - added 2+2 and made 5 again...  :-[
Thanks for that, Shaun. I have now found quite a lot of articles about that establishment (as yet unread), which is just next door to the Wig & Pen (which was previously known as the Star Inn, apparently), is called the Old Globe Bistro and painted in a lurid greeny-turquoise hue: https://goo.gl/maps/BinEjM65qQ12  :o

Edit: Found a Reeds Pharmacy history page which explains the "jade green", but also, more interestingly, a very long and informative article by Tony Mansell on a number of pubs, including the Globe and the Ship/Victoria, with illustrations, in which Edward Cock and James Jr are both mentioned.
The site (Rootsweb) seems to be playing up tonight and I need a break anyway, so will be back another time...