Author Topic: Michael McGill  (Read 614 times)

Offline Warwick1951

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael McGill
« on: Wednesday 01 November 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looking for my 2nd Great Grandfather who served as a private in the 59th Regiment of Foot from 1854 and was discharged in 1875, service no. 3501.According to his army records he was born in Dungannon, Tyrone, Ireland but I can find no records of his birth or baptism.  He had 2 daughters, Rose Anne McGill who was born in 1856 and Isabella McGill who was born in abt. 1860 in Fort Beaufort, Cape of Good Hope. I can find no record of a marriage for Michael or information about his death.On discharge from the army he stated that he was returning to live in Dungannon but I cannot find him on any censuses.I know that there are gaps in the Irish records but if anyone out there knows more I'd love to hear from you.
Ann Walter

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McGill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
There's a possible death, registered in Dungannon district, in the name of Michael Magill of Lisnamonaghan who died on 20 March 1881, he was recorded as a 47 year old married army pensioner, the informant present at death was Ann Magill of same address.  Also possible that the informant was this person in Lismonaghan in the 1901 Ireland census, note she was a widow and a seamstress:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Castlecaulfield/Lisnamonaghan/1738475/

Note also that a widower called Michael McGill of Kinego (occupation not known) married an Ann Duff of Lismonaghan (a dressmaker) in the RC parish of Donaghmore on 18 June 1876, Michael's father was also called Michael McGill, a farmer, Ann's father was James Duff, a farmer, the witnesses were Thomas Quin and Mary Ann Kelly. So possibly married again after leaving the army?     

On a separate tack note that a Michael McGill and Margaret Camley / McCambley married in Dungannon RC parish in 1826 and had a child baptised in same parish in 1828, they were living in Killymaddy at the time of the baptism, which isn't far removed from the geography so far, nothing yet to say these were Michael's parents, just to note until able to rule in or out. 

Dungannon RC parish registers are here: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0214

Offline Warwick1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much. I found that very helpful. I suspect my relative is the 1st one you found as on the 1901 census return there is a Lizzie Quinn living with Anne Magill and in the marriage record you mention one of the witnesses was a "Quin". ;)