Author Topic: William Chetwynd, born c1728, charged with murder. Who was he?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Chetwynd, born c1728, charged with murder. Who was he?
« on: Thursday 02 November 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Online reports of Old Bailey trials brought up the case of Thomas Ricketts [or Rickets] who died in 1743 after being stabbed by a fellow-schoolboy, William Chetwynd, in a squabble over a piece of simnel cake.  The school was Mr Clare's Academy, in Soho, London.
 The trial report includes the following passage:
"The case of William Chetwynd, Gent. (tried on three several Indictments, for the murder of Mr William Rickets [sic]) in which several Persons of Fortune and Distinction are interested; wherein so many Gentlemen of Eminence in the Law were concerned; and which, on the Facts found specially on his Trial, is to be re-considered by all the Judges, is of such Importance that we are obliged to publish the same at length;  which we shall accordingly do, as soon as an Affair which requires so much Circumspection can be settled."

Another website based on the ‘Newgate Calendar’ reveals the outcome.  Chetwynd was found ‘guilty of manslaughter only and set at liberty after being burned in the hand’, in other words branded.  Other reports state that "persons of fortune and distinction" were interested in the case, and I am curious to know who they might have been, perhaps the Chetwynds of Staffordshire?  I have been unable to trace exactly who William was.  He is said to have been younger and smaller than Ricketts who was about 18, and deaf.

Any suggestions will be most welcome,
Ainslie

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Chetwynd, born c1728, charged with murder. Who was he?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
From the Ipswich Journal - Saturday 10 December 1743
Last week his Majesty was graciously pleased to order a Pardon to be made out for Master William Chetwynd, against whom a Special Verdict was found last Sessions at the Old Baily, for unfortunately killing his School-Fellow, in a dispute about a Piece of Cake.

From the Derby Mercury - Thursday 03 February 1743
Saturday last a pardon passed the Great Seal to William Chetwynd, of St. Anne's, an Infant, for the Murder and Manslaughter, for and concerning the Death and Killing of Thomas Rickets.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
 William Richard Chetwynd, third Viscount Chetwynd (1685?–1770), had two sons, I wonder if he was one of them?
In the Caledonian Mercury - Monday 06 May 1754 there is a list of Members returned for Parliament, which has, for the Borough of Stafford The Hon. William Richard Chetwynd, and William Chetwynd, Esqrs.

Stan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I have been unable to trace exactly who William was.  He is said to have been younger and smaller than Ricketts who was about 18, and deaf.

Have you tried looking at the petition for his pardon, in State Papers (Domestic)? If not, a copy can be ordered from TNA.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7768301

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 November 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Stan, Bookbox & Mark
Many thanks for your interest. 
I had seen a version of Cobbett's report on the case, but not so complete as this one, which includes the name of Walter Chetwynd as an elder brother.  This could help me in tracing the family.
I think the petition at TNA will probably be the same as the one in Cobbett's report, but will keep the reference on hand for future use if needed.
A

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 November 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Cobbett's Page 325 (from my link)

It seems that Sir Thomas Abbey, Knight, one of the Judges of the Court of Common Pleas begged to be excused due to a possible conflict of interest because he knew "Walter Chetwynd, of Grendon, Warwickshire, esq. the young gentleman's late father ;" ...

Seems the late Walter Chetwynd, of Grendon, Warwickshire, was the young Gentleman's Father?

Mark

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 November 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Cobbett's Page 328
It says that "This William Chetwynd, esq. was the last heir-male of the Chetwynds of Grendon in Warwickshire, and Rudgley in Staffordshire."

Stan

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 November 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
The Grendon PR's shows a William Henry Chetwynd buried there in 1755 aged 29. Gives a BY of C. 1726 which is a year or 2 out according to the appeal of 1743 but probably him. There is also a Walter buried there in 1750 aged 30 & said to have died in London.
Parents appear to be Walter & Barbara Chetwynd although I can't see a Baptism for William.
Both are listed as Esq.
So he may have taken his inheritance in Grendon at 21 but died shortly afterwards.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/