Author Topic: Careys of Rathkeale 1880s  (Read 12557 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Careys of Rathkeale 1880s
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 02 December 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline T4Tim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 02 December 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes and thank you again.
So much info in such a short eriod of time and a Swiss cheese brain to boot.

Pity Google didn't go down that road as satellite doesn't do much. 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 02 December 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes and thank you again.
So much info in such a short eriod of time and a Swiss cheese brain to boot.

Pity Google didn't go down that road as satellite doesn't do much. 
Won't have a chance for a while, need daylight but remind me in the Spring and I'll have a look down that road, it's only a couple of miles away from me.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 02 December 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Probably concentrating on this house too much, after all they only appeared to have lived there for a couple of years.
If I'm reading it correctly in 1853 Griffith's Valuation Rev. Tim Kavanagh, land lord Eyre Powell.
1882 Rev. Mr Clowry CC sold furniture and other items at the house.
1889 house and land put up for sale by Rev. Martin Nolan PP with permission of land lord Miss Powell.
1890 Michael Smyth (Postman, Old IRA, County Councilor ) born at Rosetown Cottage.
1907 June Land Commission makes advance of Ł703
1914 House and lands sold by C R McGuinness.
1921 House and lands up for sale no seller named. Land Commission still has an interest.
1924 Clearance of household objects etc from Rosetown Cottage, says house and land already disposed of! Seller Michael W Rowen Esq.
1926 House and lands for sale, no seller named, Land Commission still has an interest.

In 1901 Kate McGuinness is in house 16 in Great Connell but this is a 1st class house with 16 windows on the front of the house
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000911582/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Newbridge_Rural/Great_Connell/1442809/
I don't think this is Rosetown Cottage though as the class of house the number of windows and the roof are different than the house in 1911.

Offline T4Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Though it all began with Adam and Eve or, some would say, the Chimpanzees; I doubt Sinann or myluck can take us back that far.

Yes, an undue fixation, on my part.

I was mistaken, when I thought myluck had pointed to Rosetown Cottage as the residence or place where my great-great-grandparents, Richard McGuinness and Jane Allison were wed, in 1844, before they started mass producing little McGuinness’. In fact, it was the place where Richard and Eileen were wed, in 1905.

Sinann has, with almost certainty, located the birth homes of grandparents, Richard J. A. McGuinness and Eileen Carey in Cork and Rathkeale, respectively. Those two seem relatively intact; just regularly painted.

My goal then, would be to stand outside those two know locations and anything beyond that, would exceed my expectations.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 04 December 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
re: 1890 Michael Smyth (Postman, Old IRA, County Councilor ) born at Rosetown Cottage.
Mentioned above by Sinann

Michael SMITH was born March 9 1888 in Rosetown to Terence SMITH (a labourer) & Anne SMITH nee FORAN LINK #101
The birth record only states Rosetown
There may have been several cottages within the area of Rosetown

I have found a further child - Charles Frederick McGUINNESS
He died aged 9 months on Mar 27 1883 aged 9 months in the Curragh Camp LINK #46
His father R.A. McGUINNESS registered the death
Although there seems to be no birth record

This has the family in Kildare for approx twenty years as there are the other baptisms McGUINNESS baptisms, the census returns and death records.

Robert Alleson McGuinness was baptised there aged 10 with an address at Rosetown & Portobello Barracks address (this barracks was in Dublin) on Jan 11 1891 - it may have been to start school or something church related and that the Cork baptism was not available.

I don't know if there is a headstone but Katherine McGUINNESS nee KEENAN was buried on Mar 9 1912 in Kilbelan (St. Conleth's) Cemetery in Newbridge, Co. Kildare
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 04 December 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if there is a headstone but Katherine McGUINNESS nee KEENAN was buried on Mar 9 1912 in Kilbelan (St. Conleth's) Cemetery in Newbridge, Co. Kildare

I'll have a nosey online first but if not found I've been promising myself I'd visit that Cemetery, I've passed it thousands of times but have never been inside, just the excuse I needed.

Offline T4Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 04 December 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
"I'll have a nosey online"
HAH!!
I love it.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 04 December 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
It's a big cemetery now, but if there is a headstone it will be in the old section near the front.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1697256,-6.7887983,244m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,681037,714001,10,9