Author Topic: Need help interpreting WW2 service records  (Read 3626 times)

Offline aljsf;lkh;askjf;hdslkjga;ihfd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need help interpreting WW2 service records
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 13:08 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone,

I have my granddad's WW2 service records (they say Certificate of Service on the front) and need help interpreting them. This is not that important to my family history research: I have already gone further back then this.

I would like to be able to try to find out what exactly my granddad did during the war and wanted to know what additional sort of information is available. Is it possible to get a photo of his unit (don’t know if that is right term)?

I am completely ignorant when it comes to the army - I have no idea about the structure of regiments etc.

Here are the details I have from the Records:

Army No: 4032835
Hilton, Edward James
Enlisted at Shrewsbury
Enlisted on 19.5.39
Corps for which enlisted: K.S.L.I (King's Shropshire Light Infantry?)

Then on another page, it has a table with his service details shown:

K.S.L.I:

-  Home 19.5.39 - 5.6.42 (3 years 18 days)
   -  India 6.6.42 - 21.3.43 (289 days)

The Lancashire Fusiliers:
   -  India 22.3.43 - 27.11.45 (2 years 251 days)
   -  Home 28.11.45 - 28.8.46 (274 days)
   - Sec B Ra***?? - 29.8.46 (don’t know what that last word says)

It then goes on to his certificate of transfer to army reserves and his attainments, which says he attained "2nd Class" on 3.8.39 - what does this mean?

The book also has a sheet of paper/certificate in it that has details of his time in the Korean War. He served in that war for 1 year and 120 days.

His "rank on retransfer" was "RFN to Class 2 RAR on (expiation?) of colour service.(?)

His "corps from which re-transferred" was RUR(?)

Sorry there is so much to digest - any information on any on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Alan

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help interpreting WW2 service records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 05 00:01 BST (UK) »
hiya alan,the bit that says sec b r**** means he transferred to the second battalion,he had done his 7yrs with the colours and this meant he was beginning his 5yrs with the reserve,rfn means rifleman,class 2 rar, means hes gone into the reserves,the 2nd class cert,means he obtained a 2nd class certificate for education while in the army,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.