Author Topic: Who owned the house? London, East Dulwich  (Read 1311 times)

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who owned the house? London, East Dulwich
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.
Am hoping that one of you can direct me in my search to find records on property ownership for my Grandparents' home.  Located in London, England. East Dulwich to be exact.
My Grandfather died in 1955 and we received a letter from Grandma telling us that she was going to see the Solicitor to get 'the house in her name'.  This suggested to me that they indeed owned the property.
When Grandma died in 1962, we arrived from the states several months later and stayed with the family while my Father reported for duty in Germany.  During the time we were there, Mom and her Uncle discussed the usual details that occur after a death.  The big one was the house.  Mom always said she gave the property to her Uncle because it was not worth much  and he would only be able to live there several years. Something about the lease expiring.
Years later I did some research and determined that the original leases on the properties in that area were for 99 years. At the end of the lease, the property would revert to the crown. The homes would not be worth purchasing as there would have a limited amount of time to reside there.  Since we were talking about 1962, it seemed to fit the information I read. But then I get confused about the ownership rights of Leasehold(house) verses Freehold(land).  In the States when you own a home, you always own the property on which it sits. Please correct my information if it is inaccurate.
However, some critical information was not given to my Mother, or she did not understand it.  In the early 1960's there was a lot of fear amongst some of the older residents that they might be forced out of their homes with no place to live.  Discussions were held that indicated that these leases might be extended for an additional 100+ years. This would have allowed older residents to stay in their homes or sell for a decent price.  Indeed, I think the law changed around 1967.
Recently, upon connecting with one of the family members after 50 years, they have told me I am wrong but can't or won't tell me why.
Would there be records that are available that would show who owned the home during this time period? (around 1920-1975) That is a broad time period but would cover the years that a family member occupied the home.  Could they be viewed on-line?
Phillips,  Silvester, Sherlock, Bayliss, Tromans, Price

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Who owned the house? London, East Dulwich
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Did they leave wills  :-\
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

They may mention what happened to the house
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Originally from the UK, but live & work in Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register

You will have to pay, but you may be able to get copies of the historical title deeds.
Richards, Seddon, Welsh, Clark, Suttie, Ritchie, Tinworth, Harrington

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Originally from the UK, but live & work in Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry the previous link is for properties registers after 1993.  Before this you can try here:
https://www.landregistryservices.com/faqs/obtaining-historical-data.asp
Richards, Seddon, Welsh, Clark, Suttie, Ritchie, Tinworth, Harrington

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

If the property is owned freehold then the property is yours. This is registered with the land registry and will have a number which can be used to obtain information. Upon death the property can be sold or left to someone else at the owners discretion.

If the property is leasehold then you never actually own the property. You own the lease which will be for a number of years. At the end of that period you have to obtain a further lease. If the owners of the property do not wish to extend the lease then they take back the property as they are the legal owners as registered at the land registry.

An example of this would be council housing, this is normally on short term leases month by month. The lease was normally given in the husbands name, sometimes joint names. If he then dies the wife has to apply for transfer of lease ownership into her name to continue living there. This can normally only be done once so if the wife dies any children living there can not take over the lease.

There are many different landlords in London from local authorities, Guiness Trust, Peabody trust etc to the Crown.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »

There are many different landlords in London from local authorities, Guiness Trust, Peabody trust etc to the Crown.

John915

The Crown is mentioned in the original post  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
The rules were altered, my childhood home was leasehold but after I left (late 1960s) the rules changed and leaseholders could buy the leaseholder out. There may have been a stipulation re having to be a leaseholder at the property for a certain amount of years before being able to buy the lease.

My father bought our lease as soon as possible, early 1970s - there was a wait as lease holders couldn't find the details. He talked to all in our street and told them to buy their leases. Our neighbours didn't listen and about 20 years later there was a scramble to buy the  leases as it was nearly expired and the neighbours had to pay thousands more than my father.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The rules were altered, my childhood home was leasehold but after I left (late 1960s) the rules changed and leaseholders could buy the leaseholder out. There may have been a stipulation re having to be a leaseholder at the property for a certain amount of years before being able to buy the lease.

It was the 1967 Leasehold Reform Act, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1967/88/contents/enacted

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
The situation has been summed up by others, but I would point out that the cost of buying out the lease would be very substantial, although in 1967 you were given the right to buy out the lease, you still had to pay the full value.

This may have been more than could be afforded.

Mike