Author Topic: John and Phillips Morriston  (Read 961 times)

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John and Phillips Morriston
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am totally stuck. I have traced my JOHN family back to 1843, and my Phillips back to the same date, but I am unable to go back further.
I applied to the Swansea Office for the birth cert for William JOHN, son of Thomas JOHN and Mary ? according to the census records he was born in Morriston in 1843 but his marriage cert states he was 20yrs in 1866.
Swansea could not find a cert for a William with a father named Thomas (c 1808) Mary, his mother was born in Merthyr (c1809)

I also applied for his youngest brothers birth cert a John JOHN b 1849 hoping they would have that, but no luck.

I also applied for Williams's wife's birth cert: Mary Phillips daughter of William Phillips, born in Morriston 1843 according to the census and marriage cert, but again Swansea could not find any matching records.

I have tried looking at the chapel records in Swansea but cannot find any there.
Does anyone have any ideas where I could go from here.

Thanks
Julie

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: John and Phillips Morriston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 05 17:40 BST (UK) »
What census returns have you looked at to deduce his mother's name. I can find a similar family but the mothers name is Hannah? I have this family on 1851 and 1861 census. There is a Thomas and Mary on 1841 census but their William is already 9 making him born 1833?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John and Phillips Morriston
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi David.
I have them on the 1841 census at Morriston piece 1419/02 folio 029 sch 117
and on the 1851 census at Graig Trewyddfa.
but I cannot find the family together or any seperate that I can confirm on the 1861 census records