Author Topic: COMPLETE with THANKS! Can you help decipher a word in a birth record?  (Read 603 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETE with THANKS! Can you help decipher a word in a birth record?
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for help deciphering the attached birth record, specifically the word following "William Hogg in _____________". FYI: this record is for Libberton, Scotland (2 b's as in Lanark). Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Yorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help decipher a word in a birth record?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris

Could it be that the father is called William Hoggin Craigardeen.    I have looked for a place name Craigardeen and there is nothing on a modern map near Libberton.

Could be that the person writing the birth entry did not know how to spell the name.  It is also possible that the man himself did not know how to spell it so guesswork all round.

I assume that your name Hogue is a surname.   Spellings can change over the centuries.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers - Yorky
Blizzard in Wilts.  Rose in Bucks.  White, Hodgson in Durham and Yorks

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that the father is called William Hoggin Craigardeen. .
The surrounding entries should show if the usual format contains the word 'in' after father's name. I agree with Yorky about possible unnoticed changes in spelling, bu tit must be remembered that spellings were not standardised anyway at that time & the same clerk may write place names differently on the same document.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
There is another entry on the same sheet that has the same word, preceded by "in"...It looks like "Craigadeen" as does the HOGG entry. Thanks for helping!

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I think the location you are looking for is Craigiedean, which is located to the east side of Liberton Parish.  The attached plan shows its location (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400129).
If you look immediately above the "N" in Liberton, you'll see Gladstanes marked.  Directly to the east of this is Craigiedean.
Istrice

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Good find, Istrice. Was looking at the more recent maps on nls too.
This shows Greenbank which is to the west of Craigiedean
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=55.6778&lon=-3.5250&layers=168&right=BingHyb
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Istrice I don't know how you found that, but great job!!! I do think this is the location given the time frame and 'neighborhood" my folk were in at the time. Thank you - and everyone else - very much.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE with THANKS! Can you help decipher a word in a birth record?
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Eric. This is very fascinating...William Bertram is also listed in William Hogg's inventory when he died as owing 250 via a Promissory Note. Mr. Bertram is also listed by William Hogg as one of the guardians of his minor child James...my great, great, great, great grandfather. I'll keep pulling the threads and see where it leads. Knowing and understanding the time and place is also very helpful. Thank you for you work!