Author Topic: Lee Romany's - Kent  (Read 4159 times)

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Romany's - Kent
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Nothing major to add, other than, i always look at the witnesses on a marriage cert, they tend to be much more connected to the married couple than family and can be a good indicator if any name changes or where they may all travelling in a census  Kushti bok!
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline Francy76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Romany's - Kent
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 24 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I have found a birth record that I believe may be that of your great-grandmother Annie.
I was intrigued by the information you provided and I wondered what happened to Eddie’s mother, Sabina Scamp, as I could not find a death record for her.
In my experience of researching my own traveller ancestors, I found they sometimes had a tendency to use different names, so I began to wonder if Sabina Scamp and Elizabeth Lee were actually the same person.
With this in mind, I searched Kent birth records of the period using the surname Scamp and found:
Mary Ann Scamp born 26th July 1908 in Blean, Kent. The mother is Sabina Scamp, a hawker. No father is listed but this is not surprising as her parents were not legally married at the time of her birth (also very common amongst travellers of the period). I believe this also points to Annie and Eddie being full siblings, not step siblings.
I have tried to attach the pdf for you to view. I hope this helps.