Author Topic: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?  (Read 18300 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?
« Reply #63 on: Monday 16 September 19 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much DianaCanada for providing another encouraging story.  That is amazing that through DNA you have been able to trace through to one of three brothers and also to find their WW1 records and photographs! It sounds like you are able to veer towards one of these brothers in particular based on likeness in looks.

It does seem like DNA testing combined with good research and patience can lead to wonderful breakthroughs these days.  Also, due to the ever increasing number of people having their DNA tested this will surely get easier to form links.  I just hope that some descendants of my unknown Great Grandfather or of his family members may have tested - or yet may in the future - and perhaps this might lead to a breakthrough.

I watched an Ancestry video recently in which the presenter pointed out that although people and written records can provide wrong information "DNA does not lie".  I really like this idea that DNA can uncover the truth.

Thank you for your good wishes Diana and I wish you future success too in identifying your great x 2 Grandfather.

You're very welcome, and thank you for your encouragement about finding my great great grandfather (my grandmother's grandfather). One problem is having a lot of families from the same rural area - they get very intertwined!

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 06:21 BST (UK) »
So I just ordered the e-book 'Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy' (second addition), and I do recommend it if you want something to read while you're waiting for your results.
It's quite easy to read, though some of it might not sink in until you actually get your hands dirty :D

I also recommend (If you're on facebook) the groups "Genetic Genealogy Tips and Tricks" and  "DNA Newbies". "DNA Detectives" is another which specializes in unknown paternity and biological family "recent and more distant".

Once you get your results I would also recommend downloading your raw DNA and uploading it to MyHeritage and FamilyTreeDNA, for even more cousin matching.

Look forward to hearing when you get your results and how much fun you're having with it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Miss Trees.

My tracker now shows than my DNA has been extracted and this being analysed and is now 'in progress'.  I like the way that everything is tracked and dated from the time an order is placed. :)

I am having a hectic time but hope you keep adding to my tree in readiness for results coming in whenever I can.  Estimated date is now October 16th but the kit arrived sooner than predicted so results might come sooner.

I have watched a Cristina Cowan video about how to cope unexpected results and I have been drawn to stories about people who have received surprises (or shocks in some cases).  I don't know why I am drawn to all this as I expect my family line to be predictable with what I know or have found.  ;D

It would be an eye opener if in my ethnicity estimates I have no Irish - I certainly am expecting this as there are plenty of from 'Ireland' ancestors on my paper trail.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 27 September 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
At least you are aware that there can be surprises  :) I didn’t get any surprises on my own close ancestry, but I did find a little surprise for a 1C1R who now has an extra daughter he was previously not aware of.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 28 September 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, Craclynn, I am aware from what I have been watching and reading that people might get surprises (or shocks) when they send off to get their DNA analysed.  As I say, I don’t  anticipate anything like this in at least my close family line.  I have occasionally read of people almost blaming these DNA companies if they find out that things are different to what they expected.  Almost  like a case of ‘shoot the messenger’.  However, in my own case I am of the attitude that I would rather know the truth, whatever that may present itself as.  Perhaps DNA companies should have a disclaimer that people have to sign beforehand acknowledging that they accept that unexpected results might be forthcoming and on their own heads be it, perhaps?

I do wonder if someone else if they have tested might discover more now that I am getting tested though.  One of my Uncles married for the first time in the 1940s.  The marriage dissolved after a few years – they had had one, possibly two sons.  My uncle remarried and had another son.  I only knew his second wife and his first marriage seems to have been a bit of a hush up – even though my Mother did mention to me that he had  had a previous marriage.  I have few photos in the house of my uncle as a young man with a woman with a forties  hair style and then with the Auntie (his wife) who I knew.  I have now been questioning if these women in my photos are actually two separate women – first then second wife.  When I think of it they do look quite different women – I used to put it down to aging but now I am not so sure.
I am now wondering if his son(s) from first marriage have tested or any possible descendants of theirs that they might discover the side of their family that was missing.  I know my family and I would be very happy to welcome these long lost cousins if they do emerge.  My Uncle, his second wife and his son from second marriage are all now deceased.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 29 September 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, if any of your uncle’s first family have tested they will show up in a fairly high position on your match list and you on theirs. Your test can provide some interesting information for them. Since you have not tested any immediate family your cousin would probably show as the first person on your list if he has taken a test with AncestryDNA  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 30 September 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
I recently read a memoir by a woman who had a surprise from DNA testing.  The book was called Inheritance by Dani Shapiro.  She took the DNA test on a whim with no expectation of discovering anything unusual and discovered that her late father was not her biological father, as she was conceived from donor sperm.  It was a well-written book, as the author was a professional writer even before all this, so I would recommend it to anyone who finds this topic interesting.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 30 September 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
I recently read a memoir by a woman who had a surprise from DNA testing.  The book was called Inheritance by Dani Shapiro.  She took the DNA test on a whim with no expectation of discovering anything unusual and discovered that her late father was not her biological father, as she was conceived from donor sperm.  It was a well-written book, as the author was a professional writer even before all this, so I would recommend it to anyone who finds this topic interesting.

I’ve just ordered this on your recommendation, shellyesq - looking forward to reading it :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 07:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclynn, I will be looking to see is this unknown cousin or descendants might have tested when results come through.😊.  I am still busy adding ancestors to my tree and expect I will have more to add when/after results come through.  If I add someone after I receive my results will potential matches be updated straightaway or does Ancestry only update on matches every now and then?  I have noticed that my predicted date of getting results had now moved much closer.  I am going to try to resist opening results if they come through before my next day off - it looks likely to be imminent.

I have also read the Dani Shapiro book (I mentioned this in post 26) and found this fascinating and would also recommend this to anyone else.  In fact it was after reading this book that I decided to take the plunge into DNA testing.  I expected to read about a long search but she was able to discover her Father relatively quickly using ancestry DNA testing.  What took longer was to build a relationship enough with donor Father to get answers about her biological heritage.  Her donor Father had expected anonimity when he donated so someone coming forward out of the blue took a bit of adjusting to.  As has been mentioned she had only taken the test on a whim and had not expected anything unusual so it must have all seemed like a lightning bolt experience. 
This book is well written and I found it very hard to put down until I had finished.