Author Topic: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?  (Read 18318 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
New matches come in as they are processed. Usually a few appear each day. As you add more people to your tree you will see that the system is able to make more suggestions about common ancestors and Thrulines explaining where your matches may fit in. Tree changes can take a day or two to reflect in the Common Ancestors and ThruLines.
I bet you can’t resist a peak at your results as soon as they roll in  :) :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Craclynn.  Oh my goodness!  I see from an email that came in at 1 am this morning that my results are ready! !   :D

Even though I am tempted, I am going to try to wait until my next day off to click this open.  I want to be able to ponder on what is revealed and not rush things.  I really want to add just a few more ancestors' details too when I get time.  It is good to know that any matches are regularly updated as although I have managed to get quite a lot up I am nowhere near finished.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice which has seen me through to this part. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 03 October 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclynn,
You were right after all, as I ended up giving into temptation last night and looked at my results instead of waiting until I had a complete day off.  It would seem that you know me better than I know myself. ;D
I am pleased to see my results do support my paper trail as my ethnicity estimate turns out to be 60% Ireland and Scotland which was further broken down into four more bullet points:
Ulster, Ireland
Louth & Monaghan
Monaghan
South Monaghan
I wonder if this means that broken down, these ancestors come from South Monaghan?  There is a baptism for a Joseph Conroy at a Roman Catholic, who did not live long.  I have long suspected that he was a brother of my Great x 2 ancestor James.  On the baptism entry it is recorded that he was the son of ‘James and Mary Conroy  (of Monaghan)’.  Thank goodness that someone put in that Monaghan reference.
I am also recorded as having 37% ethinicity for  England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, which was further broken down into two further bullet points:
Scottish Lowland, Northern England & Northern Ireland
England-Scotland Border
I also have 3% as Norway.

I have lots of matches, which is brilliant but nothing closer than a second cousin, who has no tree and a lot of third cousins and other lower matches.  I am buzzing at the moment now I have seen my results and I am so glad that I went ahead and went down the DNA route.  :D There appears to be so much to work on and eventually matches to try to get in contact with.  I can see some of my matches with particular ancestors that I have in my tree.  There are possibly a couple of blips or perhaps not – a Grandmother (Mother of my Father) – she was an only child but seems now to have a half brother.  That is a bit puzzling  - I don’t know if this is a bit of computer confusion.  Also, a Great x 2 Grandmother who was also illegitimate (but on my Dad’s side) is linked with a DNA match to the man who became the husband of her Mother my Great x 3 Grandmother.   I will have to try and work on what is happening there.  I don’t know if he might have been her Father or perhaps this might be some computer confusion or it just means that I match with a descendant of his wife?

I am pleased to see a DNA connection to a match who appears to be a descendant of my Great Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy’s brother James who went to America. 

Anyway,  I have lots to look at and loads to work on.  If I do ever get to find out who my Maternal side Great Grandfather is I will certainly let everyone know on here.  Thanks again for everyone’s help and advice on this post. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 03 October 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
It’s fascinating, isn’t it! In my case it has completely reinvigorated my interest in my own tree.  It has not only helped me trace living relatives and break down brick walls, but also understand the narrative better.

E.g. my 4xg-grandparents (Scots-Irish) moved their whole family from Scotland to Massachusetts in the mid-19thC. Why? I just thought it was what everyone was doing at the time. I have now found they already had family there, and in turn those newly-discovered family members have yielded good US records which have enabled me to trace the family’s Irish origins back to a particular place in County Antrim.

Best of luck with the new adventure and keep us posted on any exciting finds :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 03 October 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
I knew you would not be able to resist it  :) :)
Second cousin is a pretty good match to work with, even if there is no tree.
I am out and about at the moment, so I will read your post a bit more carefully when I get home. Have fun exploring.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 04 October 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi avm,
Thanks for your good wishes sent.  I agree it is fascnating .. I now wish I had got around to this a lot sooner.  That is marvelous to hear how much you have been able to discover about your own ancestors’ story and their move to America.  I did once hear a family story about my Grandfather having advised my Dad to go to Amerca (which he never did).  I used to wonder about that, thinking why would he want my Dad to leave all the family and go to live in a completely different country.  However, since I have started on my paper trail I have found that a number of my Dad’s ancestors made their way to America.  It is amazing what you can find out when you get digging.
I think you will enjoy reading the book ‘Inheritance’ by Dani Shapiro when it arrives.  She was able to find her ‘donor’ biological Father not because he had tested but because a relation of his had. 
Hi Craclyn,
Yes, a second cousin sounds like quite a good match.  I have sent them a message.  Or at least I hope I have – I can’t see anything which tells me that my message has been successfully sent.  I have included my email as advised on here.  I have been thinking about my results.  I have an ancestor – Edward Senior, who was originally from Middlesex and his family were from here too.  This part of the country is not included in my ethnicity.  Edward was a 2 x Great Grandfather – I wonder if these means I have not picked up the DNA side of his family?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 04 October 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
Don’t worry about ethnicity at county or region level. It is not that specific. You also don’t know how long that line may have been in Middlesex. It may have been just passing through for a generation or two. Follow your matches rather than ethnicity estimates.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 04 October 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
I’m already halfway through “Inheritance” and much enjoying it! Dani Shapiro writes beautifully - I might look out more of her work afterwards.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 04 October 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Craclynn, I will do as you say and focus on the matches.  That is true - I do not know how long they were in Middlesex for.

Also, I have just seen a sent button and I have found messages that I have sent so far.   :)