Author Topic: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?  (Read 18303 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 08:10 BST (UK) »
Adding this type of information in profile pictures creates frustrating hints for other users. If you want to add a visual effect then it is better to put an emoji into the suffix field so that you do not generate unnecessary photo hints.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Regarding thru lines they don't show up if your match has a different spelling
For instance a known match with shared photo has (h)Ellen  so doesn't match my Ellen

I have GARDNER sometimes spelt Gardener you can try altering spelling of ancestor and using box also known as to get different matches .you can always change back to your preferred spelling later.

Does anyone know if jus putting ' "also known as" tips work for thru lines ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Well, that certainly is an eye catcher sign!

With the 'Davisons' I ended up just putting the hypothesis sign on and I didn't add any death dates so hopefully they will have just appeared private to others.  I have since removed the lot as nothing has appeared to suggest a DNA link.  It was worth a try, I suppose.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
I will keep this in mind - I do unfortunately have some ancestors with unfortunate names which was spelled differently in several times.  One were 'McKetterick' - what a nightmare spelling wise in various records. ::)

In this case I can imagine writing 'also known as' with several variations to follow.  A good idea though.  Perhaps this one on marriage, this one on birth etc?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 27 October 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Grandmother was  brought up in childrens homes in the late 1800's in Birmingham.
She knew nothing about her origins.
My Grand Uncle, her youngest son, is still alive at 97 and he agreed to do a DNA test.
Whilst I cannot pinpoint her mother I have very good clues to her grandparents from following the family lines of close matches.
When I started out in trying to identify her family I didn't have high expectations of finding matches, but I now know her mothers side were Scarfes and Tooleys from Lincolnshire.
Uploading the DNA to Gedcom was helpful in ascertaining the matches were on the maternal side.
I may never know her mothers identity but the DNA has certainly been very helpful in filling in gaps and narrowing down the possibles.
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 27 October 19 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Uploading the DNA to Gedcom was helpful in ascertaining the matches were on the maternal side.
I may never know her mothers identity but the DNA has certainly been very helpful in filling in gaps and narrowing down the possibles.

Do you mean uploading to gedmatch?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 27 October 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Senior moment
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 09 February 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Any progress?

By way of further encouragement, I haven't done DNA myself, but have recently been helping a lady in America who has. Her ancestor was born to a single mum, but the mum gave the child a not too common surname as middle name. When the child later married,  the middle name was used as surname, and a first name given for 'father' (which, fortunately, produced a not overly common in timescale, forename/surname combination).

Anyhow, add DNA into the mix, and descendants of three siblings from the 1830/40s, have each come up as matches to the lady I am helping, with one of the siblings also having the not overly common forename/surname combination, so looking good as the likely candidate, especially as the lady had already earmarked him as a potential, based on his name and location.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 13 February 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
No progress as yet with finding out who my missing Great Grandfather was, I'm afraid.  However, perhaps a breakthrough might still happen in the future .. I haven't given up hope!

On the plus side I have matched to people who are the descendants of my paternal Great Grandfather's brother who went to America.  Also just a few days ago I have been in contact with a lady who is a descendant of my paternal Great Grandfather's sister. 

I have also matched with a direct descendant of my paternal Great x 2 Grandfather's brother.  It is strange as someone who I am in contact with, who is a descendant of this brother has no DNA match with me.  However, she persuaded her Mother to have a test done and I have matched to her Mother.

I have also had matches to people who are descendants of some of my Mother's ancestors. 

So I can't grumble .. I don't regret having the test done.  That elusive missing Great Grandfather may yet be discovered one day .. especially as more and more people are tested.