Author Topic: Finding information on an illegitimate child in Lincolnshire? - Thomas Beacock  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Anthony Beacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

My 3x great grandfather was Thomas Beacock born about 1841 in the Melton Ross area of Lincolnshire. He took his mother's maiden name of Beacock (Sarah Beacock born 1818). He was illegitimate but I'm struggling to find a baptism record for him or any information that may point to who his father is.

I can't get a birth certificate for him either because I have to search for his second name. Because I cannot find anything, it suggests that he could have possibly been registered under with the father's surname rather than Beacock, his mother's maiden name.

I feel as if I have tried everything I can think of so any pointers would be greatly appreciated, as I've been stuck on this one for a while.
Thank you very much!
Tony.
East Yorkshire - Beacock, Hunter, Baxter, Kirby, Smith, House, Wright, Thompson, Hall, Capon, Ellarby, Semper, Smith, Gibson, Pannitt, Bassett.
Lincolnshire - Beacock, Carline, Robinson, Markham, England, Dovehill, Teste, Reder, Harum.
Hampshire - Cook, House, Mintram, Taylor, Orman, Brumfield, Skews, West, Lancaster, Young, Tribbeck, Pearce, Prince, Wrixon.
Scotland - Scarth.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding information on an illegitimate child in Lincolnshire? - Thomas Beacock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it's very difficult to pinpoint a father in illegitimate cases. 

How do you know he just took his mothers name?  Have you got him on a census with Sarah.

Did Sarah marry soon after he was born?  That person might have been the father.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding information on an illegitimate child in Lincolnshire? - Thomas Beacock
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Is this them in 1851?

Sarah Gillyatt 33 widow
Thomas Beacock 10 son

Marriage Mar 1845 has a possible pairing of Sarah Beacock and John Gilliatt
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you dismissed this birth:

Births Sep 1843
Beacock    Thomas        Glanfd Brigg    14   349   

Glanfd Brigg covers Melton Ross. A bit late though perhaps?  :-\

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
A little late I think because he is 3 months old in 1841 census. 

Plus mothers maiden name is given for that birth of Stark  :)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Anthony Beacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thomas is 3 months old on the 1841 census. He and his mother (who was 25 at the time) are living with her parents, John and Sarah Beacock.

In 1851 Sarah is living with Thomas. Sarah is now Sarah Gilliat after marrying John Gilliat in 1845 (4 years after Thomas was born). He died in 1849. I have thought that John could be the father, but I could never be sure. The marriage does seem quite quick, so it is possible. Sarah's occupation is Annuitant which I suppose could mean that John could have left some money for Sarah and Thomas. Maybe an act of goodwill, or because Thomas was really his son? I don't know.

A few months after the 1851 census was taken, Sarah married Gilbert Burton Handson.
In In the 1861 Census, Thomas is described as being the "Son-in-Law" of Gilbert Burton Handson, Thomas is Gilbert's stepson. I believe that Thomas had a good relationship with Gilbert as Thomas went on to be a butcher like Gilbert, which suggests that he worked with him. I also think this because, on Thomas' marriage certificate, he lists his father as Gilbert Beacock. There is no such person, at least at that time, so that doesn't match up. All I can think of is that Thomas wanted to cover up the fact he was illegitimate. He did move away to Hull, from Lincolnshire before he got married. This could have been for a new life.

There's a lot of ideas but I just can't pinpoint anything. I have also done the AncestryDNA kit. I suppose I could look further into John Gilliat's family and could get a link to him. If so, I would know that he was the father.
East Yorkshire - Beacock, Hunter, Baxter, Kirby, Smith, House, Wright, Thompson, Hall, Capon, Ellarby, Semper, Smith, Gibson, Pannitt, Bassett.
Lincolnshire - Beacock, Carline, Robinson, Markham, England, Dovehill, Teste, Reder, Harum.
Hampshire - Cook, House, Mintram, Taylor, Orman, Brumfield, Skews, West, Lancaster, Young, Tribbeck, Pearce, Prince, Wrixon.
Scotland - Scarth.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I also think this because, on Thomas' marriage certificate, he lists his father as Gilbert Beacock. There is no such person, at least at that time, so that doesn't match up. All I can think of is that Thomas wanted to cover up the fact he was illegitimate.

I would agree with that.   

Maybe Sarah didn't register the birth at all  :-\
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Anthony Beacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I hope she did register it  :(
Scotland - Scarth.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Long shot but I wonder if Sarah had any other children by the same man that fathered Thomas.

Yes too long a shot I think  :(

By rights he should be registered Mar or Jun 1841. 

Is there a Thomas Gilliat birth in the right district we could follow up?
Pick - Frocester Glos