Author Topic: BENNETT family Cheshire  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Teea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BENNETT family Cheshire
« on: Thursday 04 August 05 09:19 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to a publication called Notes on the ancient Cheshire families of Bennett of Saughall Massey and Bennett of Barnston: with their collateral branches by Edward M. Hance, 1889.  A further note says that this is from vol. xxxviii of the Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire.  This is accessible on the Family and Local Histories section of Ancestry.com - but I can't access it without paying the, not inconsiderable, extra to extend my Ancestry.co.uk subscription!

This has two sections on "Bennetts of Willaston (first family)" and "B - of W - (second family)".  Various coincidences make me think that "my" Bennetts, of Liverpool (c. 1790s and possibly earlier) and then Isle of Man, are a junior branch of this family and I would dearly love to find out exactly what information is contained in the two relevant sections of the document.

Teea

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT family Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi teea

Try this link for starters - it may be of some help?

Cheers
Jan

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,63100.0.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Teea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 07:40 BST (UK) »
Jan

Thank you - I shall do that.  In fact, I had succeeded in having a look at the item I was enquiring about - most of the Bennetts mentioned were too early for me to be able to establish any definite connection.

Thank you very much for your interest,     Teea

Offline Teea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 11:23 BST (UK) »
Jan,

On second thoughts, it seems a bit presumptuous to post such a general enquiry on the Cheshire Board because the only real connection I have is the coincidence of the name Bennett with Willaston.

I've already pursued the marriage of my ggg-grandparents on the Lancashire Board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,53014.0.html and think I must be patient and wait for the copy of the following PR entry that the Library found and promised to send me a week ago - it hasn't arrived yet!

Teea

Offline Teea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT family Cheshire - particularly Willaston
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 05 17:57 BST (UK) »
I'm now on "third thoughts".  I did manage to have a look at the contects of the publication mentioned in my original posting on this thread.  Unfortunately, most of the Bennetts mentioned were too early to provide me with a definite link to my family.  In the meantime I have obtained from the Liverpool RO a copy of a Marriage entry in St. Nicholas, Liverpool, PR which I had hoped would give me with the maiden name of Henry Bennett's wife, Martha, and thus another avenue to research.  For various reasons, I don't think the couple are "my" Bennetts.  The details are in http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,46043.0.html for anyone who is kind enough to take an interest.

I am, therefore, going to act on the advice of Jan Tivey (thank you again, Jan) and ask for help on the Cheshire board. I mentioned coincidences earlier - the main one is that the Bennett family moved to the Isle of Man following Henry's death in Liverpool in 1823.  Their third residence there was a house built by Henry's youngest son about 1845 which he called Willaston and family lore has it that they originated on the Wirral before the 19th century.

If I'm honest, I suppose I hope to attract the notice of the Moderator who, I feel sure, has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Cheshire Bennetts and certainly is wonderfully helpful with his replies to topics!

Teea

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 05 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Teea

Have you tried searching the online Cheshire parish records, all the Willaston records will be there under the Neston parish. I believe you were looking for an Henry Bennett, I found this one today it may not be your's but it gives you an idea of what is available on the site. If when adding the Bennett name into the search box spell it with just one T this will bring up the most results dating back to 1500

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

DATED 17/9/1758
FORENAME *HEN
SEX M
FATHER_FORENAME ROBT
MOTHER_FORENAME ANN
SURNAME BENNETT
OCCUPATION SPINSTER
RESIDENCE LEIGHTON
ILLEGITIMACY B
ILL_FATHERS_SNAME BURGESS
ILL_FATHERS_OCCUPATION LABOURER
ILL_FATHERS_RESIDENCE LEIGHTON
ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION *HENERY

Hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Teea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
Peter

Thank you very much for your reply.  I had, in fact, discovered that site, but found the presentation a bit confusing - thank you for encouraging me to look at it more thoroughly.  I'd missed that extra blank circle for more detail [click required] and shall pursue it when I have more time to spend!

Teea