Author Topic: THOMAS READ AND WIFE ELIZABETH ? BETHNAL GREEN  (Read 10870 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS READ AND WIFE ELIZABETH ? BETHNAL GREEN
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 December 17 07:38 GMT (UK) »
It is possible to see where a rootschatter lives by clicking their user name.  Some people do not complete it but we do recommend it even if it is only a country as we don't then suggest lookups at say the national archives Kew when someone is in Australia  ;D   

There were two other baptisms for the Wilkes street Thomas and Elizabeth
Thomas Read bapt 30 May 1814 Spitalfields parents Thomas & Elizabeth father occ Weaver - abode Wilkes Street  (Reply 4)

Elisabeth Ann Read bapt 2 October 1814 -same details as Thomas

Marriage and baptism images are available on Ancestry

Birth registrations showing mothers maiden name did not start until mid 1837.  Sometimes a baptism will give it but that is not common.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 December 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be negative here.  The intention isn't to prove you wrong, but unfortunately, with this family it's easier to rule out the unlikely than it is to find the probably.

The 1861 census shows Elizabeth Read in Edmonton, living on her own.  No Thomas.

As posted by cuffie and rosie, Thomas Read is on the 1861 back in London, living with his daughter Ann aged 39, and his son-in-law Thomas Simpson.
Thomas Simpson married Elizabeth Ann Read who was born 1814. 

So your Thomas Read must be the father of Thomas, Elizabeth Ann and John who were born Wilks Street.   Years before the Legassick marriage.

Also, Elizabeth Read consistently gives her year of birth as 1791, but the parents of Elizabeth Wilks Legassick didn't marry until 1801.

We're all trying to find a more positive result for you, but it's hard to prove

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 December 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
We're all trying to find a more positive result for you, but it's hard to prove
It is very difficult to prove.  ???

The earliest we have a baptism so far for a child of Thomas Read (weaver) & Elizabeth was Thomas 30 May 1814.  As his sister was baptised in October of the same year when was Thomas born  :-\

The Thomas Read/Elizabeth Howard marriage was at St Mary, Whitechapel 24 Apr 1814 but the children were baptised at Spitalfields.  Was Thomas born before the marriage and that is why the baptism is so close to Elisabeth's.  When this couple married they were both of the parish.
Banns for a couple of the same names were read April/May 1810 at St Botolph, Aldgate the last being called on 13 May 1810 but no marriage date entered against them.  Transcripts show a marriage on the 13 May 1810 but they are known to be unreliable and may have been the banns not the marriage.  Are they the same couple

The marriage between Thomas Read & Elizabeth Burnell is also a contender taking place 30 Dec 1811 at St Giles without Cripplegate - they were both of the parish & single.

A third one could be Elizabeth Barnard & Thomas Read 1 Nov 1811 at Christ Church, City of London - they were both widowed

No doubt there are more possibilities but initially we have to try and eliminate these

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 December 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Thank you all for your help and it can be very frustrating not being able to find these people prior to registration in 1837.

A friend found a record that a William READ and Sarah were Thomas' parents.  Don't know if this is true.   I will see if I can attach a document - third column 7 names from bottom.  This is a baptism for 1789.  Sorry I cannot find the paper clip for attaching to this reply.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 December 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You can't generally add attachments to look up boards.  Rootschat likes us to transcribe the information from documents rather than post copies as they are often subject to copyright. 

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 December 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you LilyM for your information.  A lot to consider.  How does one start eliminating entries.  I guess we now have to look to see if those marriages mentioned have different children with father Thomas as a weaver.

Thank you Rosie for explaining about attachments.  I was not aware of this it was just that at the bottom it states Attachments hence my comment.

The Baptism record I have is for November 1789 and states Thomas Read son of William and Sarah.  Have no more information.  I think this record was found in Ancestry.com.  I am not sure as I don't have Ancestry.

Today is Saturday 23rd December 2017 and is a celebration as Thomas and Elizabeth's son Charles Read married Annie Shelbourne in Sydney on this day 158 years ago.

Lesley

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 23 December 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the baptism you mean
Thomas Read
Birth 19 Sep 1789
Christening 2 Nov 1789
Christening Place Westminster
Parents William Read & Sarah

Going only from where he was baptised, he is more likely to be the Thomas who is living in Marylebone in 1841 with probably a second wife Sarah and children of that marriage though that would need to be traced back

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 December 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi Rosie99 - Yes that is the one.  So are you saying that this Thomas may not be the Thomas I am searching for?  We may have to have a rest over Christmas.....All these different options.  Another suggestion is that Elizabeth Howard seems to be the favourite at the moment.
A question: If one looked at Elizabeth Simpson's death would it state her parents full names?
Lesley

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 December 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate for Elizabeth Simpson wouldn't show her parents names. It'd likely show the name of her husband and his occupation, so you could at least be sure you have the right one but you wouldn't glean much more more information than we have already, if any.

Obviously we know her father's name and occupation from the marriage record and the 1861 census.

Elizabeth's burial record (I don't think anyone's posted this yet but I could be mistaken):

name: Elizabeth Simpson
buried: 04 Mar 1861; St James, St Pancras
abode: 19 Holford Square, Pentonville

It's probably going to take quite a bit of time and effort to try and trace the various possible Thomas and Elizabeth couples, cross checking various records (baptisms, births, deaths, burials, censuses, marriages (in case of re-marriages)). I've had a look myself but haven't been able to positively trace any of them.

It's probably best if you can access the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) records available on ancestry.com as you'll get more detail from the actual parish registers than you will from transcriptions. Ancestry do frequently have free access weekends that you can keep an eye out for, often during holiday periods. Or your local library may have free access.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson