Author Topic: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Sue VB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 January 24 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I have just been contacted by a convict researcher about Michael Allan, convict no.4585. I googled him and came across this forum so hopefully I have posted a reply correctly. I am sure they will get back to me with more info. I already had this
From Freemantle Prison Australia
ALLEN, Michael
1 Jan 1858
Nile
Date of Birth: 1833
Marital Status: Unmarried
Literacy: Illiterate
Sentence Place: Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Crime: Robbery with violence
Sentence Period: Life
Ticket Leave Date: 14 Oct 1861
Conditional Pardon Date: 11 Oct 1866

Greetings from Australia.  I am a direct descendant of Michael Allen, of the Matfen Murder saga.  I have had a very quick look at the first page of this thread and will look at the rest soon, but very excited to find it. Sadly, Michael never made it back to the UK.  He was granted Ticket of Leave in 1861 and Conditional Pardon in 1866.  He married Mary Ann McLochlin (nee Wellington) in 1866 and the only child of this union was my great grandmother, Isabella Louisa Allen, born in 1868.  Michael died in 1873 aged 39 in Geraldton, Western Australia.  Mary Ann married again the same year Michael died and went on to have another 7 children to George Robinson. Isabella, a midwife, died aged 60 in 1928. Until she married she continued to use the surname of Allen and did not take on the Robinson name despite being only 5 when Michael died.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 27 January 24 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to see your post Sue - amazing that you are descended from the friends of my bloodline ancestors.  Do you know much about what happened to the rest of Michael's family?  Tibby etc?  I am interested.  There was an Anderson whose daughter married into my Conroy side and it would be of interest to know if Tibby had any links to that Anderson family.
Several years ago I found a marriage record for which I suspect relates to sister Ellen and I think I posted the details on some thread on here although I can't recall the thread title right now.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 27 January 24 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Actually the post re the marriage of Eleanor/Ellen was on this thread.  Here is some info from the entry I found:

Ellen Allen marriage to John Morrison
22 August 1857, St Nicholas, Newcastle
She was recorded as 'a hawker' but then a line was crossed over these words.
Her father was recorded as Michael Allen - a hawker

Her husband John was a cartman and his Father Robert was also recorded as a cartman. 
Their witnesses were William Watson and Isabella Kelly.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner