Author Topic: Robert George Black and Eliza Black - Antrim/Belfast  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Robert George Black and Eliza Black - Antrim/Belfast
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
My question is really, is ms her maiden name? I am not sure, as I don't deal with Scottish records and in the case.........

On Scottish records, m.s. stands for Maiden Surname.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for confirming this.

It would mean then that the marriage record Margaret Black -> William Marshall is potentially not correct. Maybe the alias Black meant she took that name as it was recorded as her surname at Roberts birth.

All very unusual.
Ireland:
Antrim - Chism, Bell, McKinley, Armstrong, Johnson, Allen
Ballymena - Ross, Stewart, Black, Wilson, McCarville
Belfast - Black, Gunion, Dornan, Gowdy, Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Derrylin - Rice, Grieves, Breen, McManus, Lang
Lisnaskea - Downey
Magherafelt - Creamer, Blaney
Monaghan - Downey, Young
Newtownards - Blackwood, Morris
Newtownstewart - Hamilton, Irwin
Templepatrick - Lockhart, Cochran

Wales:
Llantrisant - John, Griffith, David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
I'm fairly certain the Scottish birth certificate and the marriage in Belfast are the same family.
The birth gives wedding as 1880 October 3rd Belfast but it's not uncommon for dates to be slightly out (informant wasn't sure of correct date or covering over a hasty marriage two reasons). The marriage certificate is correct place, month & only one year out.
The groom's name on marriage is the same and although he's a labourer (a rather vague description) the father worked in a shipyard (as the groom did on the birth record).
The problem really is the bride- birth gives name as Mary Ann (are you sure it's not Margt. Ann?) whereas the marriage Margaret. Fortunately, perhaps, the ages of bride and groom are listed (often just says 'full age'). Are these any way consistant with later records (census or death records for example)- is the bride shown as a few years older than the groom. Not always reliable especially if bride later tried to appear younger but worth checking.
Next, are the bride's surnames- Black m.s. Irwin (or Erwin?) or Black formerly Black (with father called Black). It may be that she was born as either Irwin or Black (illegitimate or otherwise) but was raised by stepfather, mother's partner or other person so went at various times by both names.
Have to make a phone call but will do a bit more digging to see what else I can find.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!