Author Topic: New Series - A House through Time  (Read 15276 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Series - A House through Time
« Reply #36 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I really don't get the interest in the history of people living in a random house!

I take it that the programmers have devised a 'hook' on which to hang various aspects of political & social history.

PS - I like it  ;)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I really don't get the interest in the history of people living in a random house!

I take it that the programmers have devised a 'hook' on which to hang various aspects of political & social history.
This forum needs a "like" !!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »

Its a house - there are millions of them and its not yours. The people living in it aren't or weren't connected to you. They could be anybody. No..just don't get it.

However, a chacun son gout. as they say.

So, are you only interested in the lives of your family, Jill?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I think I'm getting the hang of it now .... it's not so much a programme about the history of a house, and the people who are living in it, as a programme about what happens to ( some ) of the people who happened to live in a particular house - and / or the neighbours - who have, to the writers/researchers/presenter got a more interesting story in their lives. Have I finally got it right?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I've done a freeze frame on the pooter and this is all the information on the children's birth certificates that I can see  - Sarah Frances d/o Alfred Robinson and Alice Adeline Brown born 3 August 1885 at  Grove Cottage, Grove Road Wallasey  he is a watchmaker (master) and his address is 62 Falkner Road Liverpool. I can just make out the words Alice A under his address and assume it's her separate address but I can't read it.

The second daughter Alice Adeline was born 6 Ivy Street, mother Alice Adeline Brown formerly Savage (deceased) no father's name given and nothing in the address box.

The 1891 census has Alfred Robinson, 44, his wife Ann 39  and daughters Sarah F 5 and Alice 3, all born in Liverpool living at 62 Falkner Street Liverpool.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »

Its a house - there are millions of them and its not yours. The people living in it aren't or weren't connected to you. They could be anybody. No..just don't get it.

However, a chacun son gout. as they say.

So, are you only interested in the lives of your family, Jill?

I don't think so. I'm very much into history - I have a degree in it. However, I'm afraid I can't get too excited about the minutiae of random people, certainly not to the point of wondering about their birth, marriage and death dates etc.

Are you saying that you're happy to pluck a name out of the air and start researching their history? I wouldn't be sufficiently motivated, I'm afraid. I'm perfectly happy to try and help Rootschatters with the family history of their ancestors - who I obviously don't know from Adam (or Eve) - but that's because I'm motivated to help. it seems to me that what you're doing is taking it to the nth degree, which, as I said before, is fine - but not for me.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I also did a considerable amount of social, economic and political history in my first degree and, although going on to other studies at post grad level, I have always loved history, particularly social history.

I find that people's lives serve to give a qualitative perspective to the events of the times that they lived through. For example, in the last programme, the position of women  in 19th century England was illustrated clearly by the problems Ann Robinson faced - trying to obtain a divorce, property going to husband on marriage, etc. etc.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Frances d/o Alfred Robinson and Alice Adeline Brown born 3 August 1885 at  Grove Cottage, Grove Road Wallasey  he is a watchmaker (master) and his address is 62 Falkner Road Liverpool.
The second daughter Alice Adeline was born 6 Ivy Street, mother Alice Adeline Brown formerly Savage (deceased) no father's name given and nothing in the address box.
Strangely can't find a marriage of Alice Savage to a Brown, or 1855 death of Alice A Brown or even Alice A Robinson [she must have died between giving birth to Alice A jnr & the registration of the birth if she is marked as deceased on the bith certificate].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
It was said that Alice died 5 weeks after the second baby was born, Josey.