Author Topic: Unidentified country house  (Read 26753 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified country house
« Reply #162 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the help and info.

Despair, I found that photo this morning on Ancestry, but named as Arthur Polhill.

copyright image removed

This website shows an image of Cecil Polhill.

http://www.pentecostalpioneers.org/pioneerslist.html

On the following image of the "Cambridge Seven" Cecil is number 5 and Arthur is number 6.

copyright image removed

I have compiled a list of Polhill family weddings and one wedding would match the Edwardian era as pointed out by Carol.

Arthur Polhill was married twice. His second wife was Agnes Augusta Hart (1876-1962). The marriage occurred in Nottingham on the 25 June 1908. What is of interest is that Arthur and Agnes had a son in 1909. He sadly died in 1922, but perhaps the images of the child would fit in with his time. I have not been able to find a detailed description of the bride at the marriage, but I have found this.

The only downside is that my photo only shows two women that appear to be bridesmaids and not four.

I have not found Woodcote, but I have found a potential place of interest. As has been pointed out Emily Polhill lived between 1826 and 1913. Her eldest daughter Alice lived between 1856 and 1931. She had married a Reverend Challis but had no children. During the early 1900s Alice appears to have lived with a Polhill aunt in a property dubbed "The Cottage" in Blunham. A Google image search of Blunham appears to show similar styles of houses, although I have not found the exact house.

The next generation of Polhill's did not start marrying until around 1917 onwards.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Thursday 25 January 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Found this site, which looks interesting, but a lot of it is private.
There is a contact email at the bottom of the page which you could perhaps try noytd.

The fourth photo is outside Howbury Hall, of an old lady I take to be Emily Polhill, with her two sons, Cecil and Arthur, and their wives.

I agree with Carol - your wedding photo is Edwardian.
The couples in the photo on the website are wearing Edwardian dress, but are much older than the people in your photo.

https://pconline.org.uk/#

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link Yorklass. The website looks like it is run by the current Polhill family who also run the Facebook page that was mentioned previously. I have tried contacting them but so far no response.

I managed to Log onto the website, it contains many interesting scans of letters, accounts and information regarding Cecil Polhill during his time in China.

I agree that the fourth photo looks to be interesting. I am not saying they are the same people, but it is interesting to see the family photo I have taken at "Woodcote" beside the one on the Polhill website.

copyright images removed

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
This may interest you if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.all-saints-church-renhold.org/polhillmemorials.html

Be careful not to post internet images that may be subject to Copyright...include a link instead  :)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I came across an address of "The Cottage" and noticed the general similarity of the houses to Woodcote(other than the "Mock Tudor"element) also.Ihaven't found a match for Woodcote  in the area however.
There appears to be two "The Cottage" addresses associated with the Polhills in the 1911 census.One with Georgiana(born 1829),which I believe is the one we both have identified,and the other with Cecil(born 1860),adjacent to Howbury Hall.

Regards
Roger

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I found a website with a photo of "The Cottage" Blunham.  Although it is similar to Woodcote I don't think it is the same house.  I have also posted a link to "The Cottage" on streetview and you can see the old houses to the right don't match the ones on the Woodcote photo.

http://bedsarchives.bedford.gov.uk/CommunityArchives/Blunham/77And81HighStreetBlunham.aspx

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lep/    "The Cottage" streetview

I have done a lot of "walking" around villages on streetview over the last few nights, no luck so far but I will keep hunting.  At least I have seen some lovely villages  ;D

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a "man of the cloth" in the left hand photo in #164.I wonder if he is the husband of Alice Kate Challis(nee Polhill,married 1892)?Alice is the sister of Cecil(born 1860).
Alice is with Georgiana at The Cottage in 1911.

Regards
Roger

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Once again many kind thanks to everybody who has helped and contributed to this thread, it has been very much appreciated. The main question of the threat was to identify the house, which has amazingly been done.

I have established a link on my family tree to the Polhill family, and I have now built up a thorough snapshot of the family during Edwardian times. By process of elimination the "mystery woman" is most likely the second wife of Arthur Polhill - Agnes Augusta Hart (1876-1962), the couple having married in 1908. Another clue that leads to this is the baby male in the album from ages 0 to around 3/4. This would fit in with their son Edward Hamilton Polhill (1909-1922). However, I have no photo comparison for Agnes, so for the moment the most likely candidate.

Woodcote remains a mystery. With the tree that I have now compiled I have searched the 1901 census and 1911 census for Woodcote, but no recognisable names appear. What is certain is that the creator of the album toured the south coast. This raises perhaps the possibility that the cottage was rented/borrowed during this trip. So perhaps in this sense Woodcote may, after all, be something of a red herring.

I shall keep on searching to try and positively identify the people in the album, but thanks to root chat I now have a good starting point from which to proceed forwards  :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi noytd

I have just sent you a pm regarding this post.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk